News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Michigan and dorky hobbies...

Started by Netdewt, April 19, 2010, 11:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

Super random thought. I don't mean this as an insult at all. I've noticed that there seem to be a disproportionate amount of Michiganians who have dorky, techy, collecting hobbies. Radio control, telephones, audio, cars, etc. Am I crazy?

I live in Minnesota, but I was born in Michigan. Maybe that explains my obsessiveness.

Dennis Markham

I don't know but I think California and Texas are well represented too.

Kenny C

me and stub1953 are representing Tennessee

It sounds like we are at the Olympics
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

You may be on to something.  That may be what attracted me to go to college in Michigan.  I also worked there for several years before being exported to New England.  There are a lot of techies here also.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Hey, don't pick on Michigan, it's our first line of defense from the Canadians!

http://www.ahajokes.com/michigan_jokes.html
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GusHerb

Could I be infected with the Michigan bug too? ;D I am only 45 miles southwest of the border. I do like Michigan. :)
BTW I represent Northwest Indiana, and also I represent myself. ;D
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: Netdewt on April 19, 2010, 11:31:05 PM
Super random thought. I don't mean this as an insult at all. I've noticed that there seem to be a disproportionate amount of Michiganians who have dorky, techy, collecting hobbies. Radio control, telephones, audio, cars, etc. Am I crazy?

I live in Minnesota, but I was born in Michigan. Maybe that explains my obsessiveness.

My theory is it's probably only due to the fact that Michigan is the eighth most populous state in the US.  More people, more stuff.  Name any artifact and somewhere in Michigan (or elsewhere) there is a group of people who collect it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

I'm just next door, representing Wisconsin :)
- Tom

LarryInMichigan

QuoteHey, don't pick on Michigan, it's our first line of defense from the Canadians!

Some defense.  We have a tax-loving Canadian governor.  Fortunately, this will be her last term.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Maybe because of long winters people here in Michigan need a hobby.  Collecting things satisfies that need.

McHeath

Funny thought Dennis.

Out here I run into a Michiganer very rarely, can't recall the last one actually.  But a lot, and I mean a lot, of Kansas folks are here, especially grads from Kansas State.  It's kinda weird really how many KSU people I know in California.

A lot of California's don't have hobbies per se, at least in my area. 

Dennis Markham

I guess it seems people in Michigan don't know what to call themselves.  I was always told we were Michiganders.  This says that other names are appropriate.  Both of which have been used in this topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigander

GusHerb

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 20, 2010, 05:43:22 AM

Your next door and just across the kiddie pool from Michigan. lol
Jonathan

AET

Haha!!  That's one way of putting it

Quote from: GusHerb on April 20, 2010, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 20, 2010, 05:43:22 AM

Your next door and just across the kiddie pool from Michigan. lol
- Tom

Greg G.

By amazing coincidence, I found this 78 today in a thrift store:

Michigan Medley One-Step.
- Mike Row
e