News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hot Enough For You?

Started by 19and41, May 28, 2019, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Yea, I hear ya. I was working out side earlier, but had to take a break because it was too hot for me to continue.
I was going to mow the lawn, but decided to wait another day. But I hear across the pond is brutally hot..
Hope things change for the better over their.
KEN

twocvbloke

Almost hit 40°C here in the UK today, where I am got up to 34°C which is just horrible combined with humidity, but it's set to cool off through tonight with lots of rain, as it's supposed to during a british summer...  ;D

19and41

I have a 1 liter glass mug made from a lab beaker.  I have to drink one of those full of ice water with instant tea or water flavoring to get my core temperature back to normal after working out there.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

40 Celsius to me doesn't sound bad, until I look at my combination thermometer... Yikes that is hot! From what I can tell that's about 105-108 f.
You take things easy, and try to stay cool over there..
I have breathing issues when it gets above 80, so I have to take things easy, or I get really bad. No seriousness as of yet but I have to be careful.
I hate getting old.. It's no fun. And I have neighbors who smoke like chimneys, yuk. All I can smell right now, so much for fresh air.
KEN

19and41

I saw a few news pieces from there about pets that developed heatstroke on their walks.  that kind of heat is dangerous territory there.  It is hot enough here, the squirrels are walking around like cats.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: Key2871 on July 25, 2019, 06:28:08 PM
40 Celsius to me doesn't sound bad, until I look at my combination thermometer... Yikes that is hot! From what I can tell that's about 105-108 f.
You take things easy, and try to stay cool over there..

Yeah, 40°C is pretty toasty, but according to a friend in Texas, that's "normal summer" for them, but here in the UK, it's insanely hot for us lot used to the usual 20-25 degree heat we usually get in the summer, and not being use to it, it's a nasty heat to deal with...  :o

As for staying cool, it's a case of sitting infront of deskfans to keep the air flowing, very few homes over here have any air-conditioning so no way to cool the house, just plenty cool fluids, and keeping fed so that the lost salts through sweating aren't depleted too much...

FABphones

Here, just over 40 - 42 deg C (108 f).

Re the animals, important they are looked after. We have a check routine to make sure the farm animals have clean cool water and constant access to their cooler shelters. The wild birds have shallow cool water too, with low shallow bowls down in shady places for the hedgehogs etc. The Deer come and drink from the horse troughs so that goes down faster as well.

'Dougle' home assistant keeps saying it will rain. It hasn't. Hoping for some tomorrow, the fields need it.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Weather Underground has been saying it'd be stormy here throughout the day, now it's not, no rain or cold front with a storm or anything to cool things down, just muggy heat and no air conditioning...  :-\

19and41

I feel for you folk, I spent the summer of 1976 in a heat wave and drought in Germany and found out how uncommon A/C was.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

1976 is the hottest  summer in Norway that I can remember.   This summer the hottest Day we have had has varied from 19 to 32 deg C.

dsk

Key2871

Yet another heat wave coming to an End? I hope so, here in the north east, 92 today where I live, with a low tonight of 68..
Tomorrow calling for upper 80's with lows dropping the the mid to low 60's..
Hopefully Thursday will be cooler at night lows in the mid 50's.
Seems like just two months ago I was wondering where spring was. I'm, hoping for a new AC next month, that is if nothing else breaks down..
KEN

19and41

Late last week the daily highs have moved into the '90s.  It is expected to be around 95 here during much of the week.  The AC systems are being hard pressed.  It is 75 inside where I am working with the system set to 71.  Someone dropped a wrapped candy mint on the pavement and it's melting in it's wrapper.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Well I here it's been in the 70's with lows in the 50s. So it's been rather nice. But temps climb back up in the next few days, to the low to mid 80s.. I was thinking fall was earlier this year..
KEN

19and41

Weather Underground is predicting 97 for tomorrow.  94 today was bad enough.  My new A/C can't Keep up with it.  It's tracking at 10 below the outside temp. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Oh man that's not "cool".. Sorry for the pun.
::)
KEN