News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you think its Brown Part III

Started by Doug Rose, October 05, 2010, 01:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Third time is the charm. It's Brown!!!!! It is in perfect condition. The pictures made it look like there was vaseline on it and like it had paint on it. It is solid and brown!!No chips cracks or missing pieces. Anyone here get one of the other 4. I would have got them all, but the pictures were awful and the shipping through the roof. It is my next project. A real nice WE 6A open face dial to boot that will be removed.  IT'S BROWN!!!!!.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Nice job, Doug.  I wish I HAD gotten one of the other ones.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 08, 2010, 04:42:16 PM
Nice job, Doug.  I wish I HAD gotten one of the other ones.

Dennis...I labored and I was the first, not knowing there was more and someone else could buy it. The pictures and descriptions were horrible. I am thrilled....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Paul F / All...I opened the Brown Galion and it has a WE 5J dial in it. It is a working phone. Besides the changing out of the black curly handset cord and the bakelite cleanup, I don't want to mess with this beauty. Is a WE 5J a proper dial for this? Seller had 5 of these Brown Norths and all had WE open face dials on them. Your thoughts?....thanks....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120630295915&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
( dead link 11-03-21 )
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Most of the galions I have seen have used AE dials. I  think North made a dial, but they were seldom used.

I think the north sets came standard without a dial or handset. {My observation}They will usually have a north or WE handset and the dials I almost always see are AE.

I lean towards that dial as being the one originally installed. It is even more likely since the othersa were using the same dials.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on October 09, 2010, 01:41:39 PM
Most of the galions I have seen have used AE dials. I  think North made a dial, but they were seldom used.

I think the north sets came standard without a dial or handset. {My observation}They will usually have a north or WE handset and the dials I almost always see are AE.

I lean towards that dial as being the one originally installed. It is even more likely since the othersa were using the same dials.

JMO,
Jim
Jim...I tend to agree since this is basically a 302 inside. PLUS, I really want to keep the 5J on it. It gives it the look of the color 302s. I thought it was a 6A, but when I opened it its a 5J. I am going to keep it as is and just change out the handset cord to cloth. Unfortunately there is not straight line ringer inside, but I don't want to swap the original out. I have enough phones ringing in my phone room.

It came with black plungers and if they fit I will swap them out with clear ones.

Did anyone else on the Forum get one of these beauties?.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, my experience level is very low compared to those of you that have been collecting for year.  My 2cents worth is that I have worked on maybe 6-10 Galions.  I have yet to find a W.E. dial in one.  All of them I've had pass through my hands were AE dials.  But again, my experience is relative low compared to the many many sets that are out there.

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 05, 2010, 01:08:45 PM
It looks like it used to be brown, don't know what to call it now :-\
Good Luck ;D

Yeah, I have a brown one too, but some Yay-Hoo painted it.   ;)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

I think just your handset was brown. WE used  Brown E and F handsets for the painted metal sets. They would be painted to match the phone.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on October 10, 2010, 04:36:11 PM
I think just your handset was brown. WE used  Brown E and F handsets for the painted metal sets. They would be painted to match the phone.
Jim

Well darn, now I'm bummed...   ;)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Sorry,

Sometimes the "truth" hurts.  :'(

Jim
You live, You learn,

deedubya3800

Quote from: Brinybay on October 10, 2010, 04:27:58 PM
Yeah, I have a brown one too, but some Yay-Hoo painted it.   ;)

Can we say "Yay-Hoo" on this board? :o

Doug Rose

Collectors....I got a chance to refurb my Brown Balkelite Galion. It came out better than expected. There were NO chips cracks or missing pieces in this brown beauty. I went with the advice to keep it as is, so I left the WE 5J on it. I did replace the with cloth WE cords on it. This works great but it rings faintly as it is not a SL ringer. I can live with that as I don't want to mess around with it. I put an old Natick dial card, next town over from me and polished it up with Norvus II and some Avon skin so soft. Third time is the charm!...Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120630295915&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Doug!  Nice dial card too.

HarrySmith

darn, looks awesome ;D
Great job, looks NOS :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"