News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Compact AE32 Subset wiring for Automatic Electric 1A Telephone

Started by handworn, May 20, 2012, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

The AE Catalog 4055, says that all central battery dial monophones were furnished as  anti-sidetone booster sets, now if handworns' phone has 3 wires on  back the receiver end it is the induction coil receiver version and is called a Type 11-A . The type 11-A can be used with any ringer box that has the 1mfd. or 2 mfd. capacitor ( condenser). Some people wanted new phones  and didn't want to buy new ringer boxes, that is when they put the induction-coil receiver to work. They could use the new1-A with their old ringers. ( 3 cond. cord for induction coil receiver and 4 cond. cord for seperate induction coil  to the subset.)
        The same catalog says that the Type 1-A desk deskset requires a ringer box with a special circuit. I would assume the special circuit would be the addition of the induction coil to the ringer box thus making it a subset. You could get a metal box( type 21 style ) with induction coil # D-281901-A  or use the Compact type 32 Ringer box with the induction coil in it..
         The 4055-A Catalog said you could get the Compact Type 32  Ringer box with whatever you wanted in it-" Space is provided for ringer, induction coil, and 2 condensers".  So I guess either types would be correct , metal or plastic. Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Hi Stub:

I had in my mind that for anti sidetone it was a 5 conductor cord from phone to subset and sidetone only needed 4 conductors. Am I one conductor too many in each of those scenarios?

I looked at the drawing inside the cover of that 32 subset (reply #6, pic 2, 3 & 4) and it mentioned 4 conductor cord to tel set which made me think sidetone. Hopefully I am wrong (yet again!) and 4 conductor means anti sidetone and all will be well. And yes the ringer is a SL. You should hear it ring!!

What else can he do to confirm tha the has a 1A and not an 11A? A picture inside the receiver would do it, right? Does Handworn need to check the switch hook contacts or would a count of the leads coming into the base from the hook switch pretty much tell the story?

Of course Handworn will need a 4 conductor cord rather than the three conductor but he can improvise until he can purchase the correct cord.

Thanks for the help Ken,

Terry

stub

Terry,
          If you use a 302 based subset it will have 5 conductors to the subset, 4 or 5 leaf hookswitch.
My concern is the 2 caps. in your subset. I was thinking that one was for the frequency ringer and the other for metallic or ground ringing. I can't find anything yet to help me figure it out ???
           Here's a pic of the induction-coil receiver . It is the same as the 32A14. I don't think he has it because I didn't see the 205 ohm wire wound resistor in the base of his phone.  At this point I am confused ???.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

kleenax

Quote from: stub on June 18, 2012, 07:58:53 AM
Here's the AE Bulletin No. 1015, Jan. 1, 1929.   stub

Hey guys;

I am coming into this late, but I don't think you will find a dial on an 11A (induction coil in handset) model.

Anyway, I have coils (original) if the original poster of this thread simply wants to "slap" a correct coil into his ringer box. POOF; it would then be a correct subset. For a 302 (101 induction coil type) subset, you can either use 4 OR 5-wire "deskset cord" (cord from deskset to subset). There are wiring schematics on the TCI Library website for guidance.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

stub

AE Catalog 4055, pg. 6.   ;D     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

I'll admit to being totally confused: the photos of catalog pages show 7006 and 7007 subsets instead of 32, and refer to desk stands 103 and complete phone 102 instead of 1A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

In Canada, well in BC at least, we always called the 1A sets "1003" sets. Then I saw lists in an AE Catalog that showed the 1003 to be a model 1, version 003 which was something along the lines of being equipped with a dial and something else about the configuration. I think we called the larger black steel subsets 7007's here as well.

AE seems to have had so many different numbering schemes for things that it is hard to keep anything straight.

I'm putting Stub in charge of sorting everything to do with AE numbering out and then reporting back to us once he gets to the bottom of it all! If you have any time left then Stub, figure out how we can date AE stuff.....

Terry

stub

poplar1 ,
               Don't worry, I have the catalogs and I'm confused as well. :o
               I have my 1A  ( 4 leaf hookswitch)hooked up to a SC 425 E network 5 cond. cord and it works fine , just hide the network in the box. After all this I think I'll just display mine like it is. What ever you get I'll help with wiring diagrams and there are plenty at the TCI Library.

Terry-  the only dates I have are on the catalogs( date printed). You know how dates and AE got along ;D
           You are the man putting together info on AE, I just have the catalogs for the wiring diagrams cause I can't remember anything unless it is written down. ;D
  kleenax -  I didn't think there was a dial on the 11A either till I read about it. If I run across a 32 ringer box I'll keep you in mind. thanks,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Stub asked whether there were four wires, as it appeared, coming out of the hookswitch tube.  This, for whatever it's worth, is the answer:

"Actually there appear to be 5 wires coming out of that place (assuming I understand correctly which location we're talking about).  One goes to attachment #1 and shares that attachment with another wire that vanishes into the large cloth wire that leads to the handset.  One goes to attachment #2.  (Nothing goes to attachment #3)  One shares attachment #4 with a wire that goes to the mechanism under the dial.  One goes to the other side of the mechanism under the dial.  And the last of the five wires goes to #7."

I have to say, the whole thing looks pretty untouched since it was new.  Original wires and all.  If people want detailed photos of where things go or a diagram of what I see, I'll try to oblige.  Thanks for everything!

AE_Collector

Have you taken the plate off of the top of the cradle to take a look at the hookswitch contacts? Carefully unscrew the large diameter nut around the plunger so you can lift the cover plate off. If you can post a close up picture of the contacts that would be great!

Stub: Sounds like a 5 contact hookswitch??

Terry

stub

Go here to the TCI library  -         http://tinyurl.com/7nfqash
and scroll down to( I think the 14 th post)-  AE 1A Monophone Desk Set, 1003 Tl
                                                     AE 1A Monophone Desk Set, 1003 Monophone and 32 Subset.
I think I got the right one this time , assuming it is a 5 contact hookswitch.  stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Yes Stub, I would say THAT IS IT! As you say, for a 1A with 5 point hookswitch and a COmpact 32 subset with two condensors. And it needs a 4 wire cord from subset to telset which is what I noted on the subset I was looking at. It has 2 condensors as well. Since condensors are prone to "going bad", has anyone encountered this type of rectangular metal cased AE condensors that were bad?

Many thanks for the hours you put into researching this Stub. WHat you need to do now is start a new thread titled AE 1A telset connections to AE Compact 32 Subset and post that circuit diagram along with discussion about 5 contact switchooks etc. Then I can "sticky" it.

So I think I have the correct subset for you Handworn.

Terry

AE_Collector

Then I thought I would just cut and paste the schematic in here like a picture but....HOW DO YOU DO THAT?

Terry

stub

Terry,
          Sorry , I had to find batteries ;D  Yes on the capacitors going bad . On Briny's 40 no ring post ,I had a 4 mfd. / .08 mfd @ 500 V D C one side went bad .08mfd.

Put pic where you want it ;D  stub      ( use camera) :o    
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Thanks Stub. Tuned up the title and sticky'd it.

Terry