News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Kellogg 1000

Started by wds, October 20, 2011, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

Dave- the dial in your photo above is Kellogg 10-G.  It's a perfectly good dial, but has one minor problem: the fingerstop is a tiny bit further toward 0 than it should be, so if you dial 0 the fingerwheel will hit its internal stop just a fraction of an inch before your finger reaches the fingerstop.  Over time this can cause the fingerwheel to become loose or out-of-registration with the number plate, and cause the mounting hole in the fingerstop to become distorted.  So if you have a 10-G dial on any phone you're using frequently, be gentle when dialing 0. 

The number retainer ring on the 10-G dial comes off by rotating it slightly either to the left or right, as there are two prongs that are held under notches in a vertical bar that's screwed down to the main shaft above the fingerwheel.  That was a straightforward design compared to AE's secret release catch. 

I tend to believe that 10-G came after 15-G, though why the part numbers went down from 15 to 10 rather than up from 15 to e.g. 20 or something, beats me. 

dsk

I just bought this one, not really sure, but I guess it is a redbar.
Any hints before it arrives Norway in 3 weeks or so.

dsk

dsk

Yes its a Redbar :)
I'm not good at those photo things, but the story:
I picked up the parcel at the way to our cabin, and in evening I packet it up, and it was rattling.

The bakelite cirsuit was broken several places, and was not able to be fixed on the plate. So I started to glue it together with some old Araldit I had, measured a little and found the interior in working order, the bell was a 40Hz :-[ and the hadset had lost some pieces.  :-\  Measuring further, the handset cord was shorted, and the rubber was brittle. but the worst was no contact to the receiver through the bakelit handset.  >:(  I had some thoughts, the seller should have known... But it was sold without any brand, as is, not tested etc, so I guess; I cant really blame him.

Well thanks to another thread I knew a possible solution, cutting thin slot cut along the length of the handset, running from transmitter to receiver put in a wire, and glue it.
It works :D Did you know, if you mix black quick drying paint with quick hardening epoxy, it becomes a slow hardening colored epoxy? ???

Some pain on the phone, new cords, and a pretty OK result:
(I have tried to let photos show the details, which makes the telephone look like its full of white spots.)

Would it be right to paint the bakelite hanset?

dsk

dsk

The Redbar is not the most rough telephone of the 40ies, but still it has possibilities, and even for those with wrong dial it is a hope:
http://tinyurl.com/ccmhgcb

If you happend to have one with "wrong"  network a conversion is quite easy to do.  

dsk

Edit:
I'm not sure about much regarding the redbar, and the Ebay guide http://is.gd/aC0g7w  says it was made fro 1935 to the mid 50ies, but The Telephone archive http://is.gd/gcLlyT could be understood as made from 1947 to 1954.

Whats right?