News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you know if a WE202 is sidetone or anti-sidetone?

Started by ntophones, November 04, 2009, 12:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

What makes these early phones "sidetone" or "antisidetone"?
--nto

dsk

Pre sidetone telephones had induction coil (transformer) with only 1 primary, and 1 secondary winding.  (Kellogg made some with only one single winding coil, and some early telephones had no coil at all, just transmitter and receiver in series. (rare?))

Very few telephones had got an extra coil just for anti-sidetone. (I have just read about it.)

More common anti sidetone; transformers/coils wit 3 or more windings.

The position of transmitter and capacitor in early telephone circuits could adjust the signal level, and volume of sidetone, but I will not call it anti-sidetone.

dsk

Phonesrfun

Good question

As d_s_k has indicated, it is the subset that determines whether it is sidetone or antisidetone.

By Bell System definition, the combination of a B or a D mount with an antisidetone subset is a 202, and a B or D mount with a sidetone subset is a 102.

Often people assume that the round base phone was a 102 and the oval based phone was a 202.  The 102 versus 202 designation was used with both bases and was the differentiation between sidetone and antisidetone.

A "B" or a "D" deskset that has a 4 wire desk cord consisting of Red, Green, Yellow, and Black was wired to be antisidetone, whereas one with just three wires, Red, Green and Yellow was wired to be sidetone.

A phone that is wired to be antisidetone can be hooked to a sidetone subset by not using the black wire, and the result will be that the phone is then sidetone.

A phone that is wired to be sidetone can also be hooked to either subset, but since it has no black wire, it will always perform as a sidetone phone even if hooked to an antisidetone subset.

The purpose of this black "antisidetone" wire is to feed back a signal to the local receiver that is out of phase with the sound being created in the local transmitter.  this cancels out unwanted local noise, and since the person using the phone does not hear their voice as loud as in the older sidetone model, they tend to speak up, which also helps the person at the other end.

-Bill
-Bill G

ntophones

Oh, wow. Thanks.
I just purchased a D1 "202" phone, with an E1 seamless handset, on EBAY, which I have no real idea what it is.
If it is a sidetone model with 3 wires, could I rewire it for the 4 wires, or should I just leave it alone. I'd like to use the phone, actually.
I guess I should just wait until I get the phone, but, I'm so excited--I sort of want to know all there is about the phones before I get it.
It is not coming with a box, so I'll have to get one of those...
--nto

Phonesrfun

It could be either a sidetone or antisidetone.  Since it has the seamless handset, that indicates an early model which could be either. 

Does it have a dial or is it manual?  It would be interesting if you could post the e-bay link.
-Bill G

ntophones

Well, it has a dial, that supposedly makes the click (so, it could be anything). The picture isn't very good--I'm praying it is really an authentic phone.
Here is the item number:

I'm praying it is a good phone. I am super excited about it! I'll need help refurbishing it, definitely!
nto
--nto

Phonesrfun

Cannot tell by the picture whether it is sidetone or anti.  probably antisidetone, but you won't know for sure until you get it.  Meanwhile it looks authentic and you got it for a good price!

-Bill
-Bill G

ntophones

Thanks, Bill--
I'm hoping against hope that it is a 4H dial, too, though you never know. When I get it, I'll take pictures and show them!
I'm soooo excited.
--nto