News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Technical "Stuff" / Re: WE500 Network Question
Last post by Gerd - Yesterday at 11:14:56 AM
Here is another Picture of the same Network. Is this original or has someone worked on it and soldered the cable? The Price for the phone is not that cheap and I want to be sure that it is in good technical condition.

EDIT: Just found out that this seems to be orign. Watched a video on YT.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: WE500 Network Question
Last post by tubaman - Yesterday at 09:28:53 AM
I think they are just a bent over tags that hold parts inside the network.
Technical "Stuff" / WE500 Network Question
Last post by Gerd - Yesterday at 08:33:43 AM
Hello,
I found an old WE500 and have a Question relating to the Network. Is this little "bridged" Part cutted or broken? I found other Pictures on which this is not the case.
I am working on a payphone for a customer. I am converting it to work on a landline. I removed the coin internals and installed as WE 4010 network in the upper housing. I used a wiring diagram I have used on all my payphone conversions with no issue, attached. I usually use a 425 network but I ran out so the 4010 went in. Connections are the same. I wired it up using jumpers between backboard and upper housing. I got nothing. After checking my wiring several times and everything looking good I was stumped. I decided to try my test handset and I got dial tone! I guess the handset I got with the phone is no good, The issue is the dial tone is very faint, what could be the cause of that. Also I do have another handset but it does not have the usual color wires, red, white and black. IIRC it has green, red, black and blue. I have never seen a handset with those color wires. I can just try different ways to hook it up but maybe someone knows the proper connections?
Quote from: Westrex on April 21, 2024, 01:04:27 PMHere's 2 examples of signs with the two letter-5 number arrangement.

Mondo Meats: http://tinyurl.com/mu2wkw53 Tel: PArkway 5-1565

Truevalue Hardware (Greenwood): http://tinyurl.com/ax2v7utv Tel: SUnset 3-2900

Correction: Mondo's Meats is no longer at the location listed, however their sign is still there. The business that's currently there doesn't share the same phone number.
Pay Phones - General Discussion / Re: Remaining Seattle Pay phon...
Last post by Westrex - April 21, 2024, 01:30:51 PM
Here's a surviving pay phone at Noah's Grocery. I didn't have time to stop to check for dial tone, so I'll have to check it later.

Phone: http://tinyurl.com/t5wb5w9n
Here's 2 examples of signs with the two letter-5 number arrangement.

Mondo Meats: http://tinyurl.com/mu2wkw53 Tel: PArkway 5-1565

Truevalue Hardware (Greenwood): http://tinyurl.com/ax2v7utv Tel: SUnset 3-2900
Technical "Stuff" / Re: The end of POTS?
Last post by TelePlay - April 21, 2024, 06:47:17 AM
Quote from: dsk on April 21, 2024, 02:55:11 AMThe mobile use to work 3 hours after power down.

Three hours is about right for the battery backup pack at the base of each wireless provider at each tower. Critical, high traffic towers many times have a generator at the tower to extend that period to days using diesel or propane fuels.

There are typically 3 cabinets at the base of a tower for each carrier: transmit, receive and battery backup. The largest of the 3 is the battery backup which is about the size of a full sized refrigerator, weighs some 700 or more pounds and provides 600Ah at 12VDC using VRLA Batteries - they last about 3 hours. Cost per cabinet is about $5,000 plus the cabinet and installation components.

A tower with 4 carriers on it has 4 battery cabinets at its base and maybe a generator.

Wireless switches have very large industrial generators to keep them operating during power outages at the switch.

Wireless providers try to keep the network running but things happen and power is not endless. The network is as good as it's weakest link in emergencies. No guarantees for uninterrupted wireless service.

The copper exterior plant was the most dependable phone service.
Last post by dsk - April 21, 2024, 02:55:11 AM
Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on April 21, 2024, 01:16:04 AMAd much as phone bills are today, it is hard to believe that they can't make money off of it.  The reason we don't want to change is because VOIP requires a modem.  That means that VOIP is dependent on the power company.  That means if there is a power failure, we have no phone service.  Get it?
Yes! And even with a battery backup. The network my be down at a power failure....  Here in Norway we have lost already.  The mobile use to work 3 hours after power down.
Last post by MMikeJBenN27 - April 21, 2024, 01:16:04 AM
Ad much as phone bills are today, it is hard to believe that they can't make money off of it.  The reason we don't want to change is because VOIP requires a modem.  That means that VOIP is dependent on the power company.  That means if there is a power failure, we have no phone service.  Get it?