News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pack Mule Arrived - Silver Imperiall - 1955

Started by Dennis Markham, February 26, 2009, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I think Odis used (and olphoneworks uses) generic terms for the cords.  It's a practice that always irked me because I never understood the difference between a line cord and a subset cord. 

The only difference that I've been able to discern between D and M cords is the lengths of the conductors past the "phone-side" restraint.  An M cord has a very short green conductor (because it doesn't have far to go) and a very long red conductor (because it gets doubled under and routed to the other side).  With a D cord, the conductors are all going the same place, so the differences in length aren't as great (at least not on the ones I've come across).
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I have seen the term "mounting cord" on schematic drawings on phones that have an internal network and ringer.  So in that instance the use of of the term Mounting Cord is used to describe the connection to the line--or line cord.  So I can see why the terminology gets misused.

bingster

Exactly.  And I think another part of the problem is that different companies probably used different names for the same type cords.  With W.E., the cord that comes out of any "handset mounting" is a "mounting cord" (unless it's the handset cord ;D )  I've always assumed HOT/OPW calls that cord a "subset cord."  And that's exactly why I think they need to revise their naming convention.  You order a line cord, I order a subset cord, and we use them for the exact same purpose.  Who knows which is the proper one?
= DARRIN =

Ellen

Hi, folks.

DON'T bleach silk.  Or any other antique fiber.  Woolite and rinse very well.  Air dry.  To find out what the fiber is, pull a few tiny shreds out of the cut end and look at them under a magnifier.  Then burn them, smell the smoke, check the color of the smoke, look at the ash and feel it between your fingers.  Things to notice - smooth, scaly, flaky; feather-smell, plastic-smell; hard bead ash, crunchy, soft; white smoke, grey, black.  Silk is a monofilament animal-protein fiber, so it smells like burnt hair or feathers.  Cotton or linen or rayon (cellulose origin) leaves a soft ash like wood ash (not wood charcoal).  Plastic-acrylic-nylons leave a hard solid bead instead of ash.

check here for more details:  http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

benhutcherson

It's always been my understanding(and I very well could be way off) that a "mounting cord" can refer to either the cord from the desk stand to the subset on telephones so equipped, or the cord from the telephone to a wall on a self-contained telephone.

bingster

Exactly. It's the cord that comes out of a handset mounting, regardless of where it goes (subset, term. block, wherever).
= DARRIN =

BDM

Nick-names for cords
Talk wire :P Electron carrier :-X Voltage highway ::) Voice whip :o Zap copper ???
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Ellen;
I agree, Bleach is VERY hard on cotton fibers. I bleach my white socks, and after a few washings they get very "brittle" for lack of a better word, and on more than one occassion, I've put my foot right throughy the end of a sock.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Thank you Ellen for those tips.  I definitely will not bleach the cords.  I'm going to give the Woolite a shot.