News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lets see your 5302's guys and gals

Started by Kenny C, November 25, 2010, 03:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Speaking of 5302's, there is an article by Russ Cowell on the 5302 in this months "Singing Wires" (Nov 15, 2010). It gives the history of the 5302 in the Bell System along with comparison pictures of the 500 and 5302.

Apparently our very own Doug Pavlichek (Wallphone) knows where the pictures for the article came from. Lets just say that he doesn't need to study the pictures too close as he has the originals in his collection.

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: ae_collector on November 29, 2010, 10:42:08 AM
Speaking of 5302's, there is an article by Russ Cowell on the 5302 in this months "Singing Wires" (Nov 15, 2010). It gives the history of the 5302 in the Bell System along with comparison pictures of the 500 and 5302.

Apparently our very own Doug Pavlichek (Wallphone) knows where the pictures for the article came from. Lets just say that he doesn't need to study the pictures too close as he has the originals in his collection.

Terry
Terry...is it possible to put the article on the Forum for the non TCI Memebers to see?.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kidphone on November 29, 2010, 10:44:54 AM
Terry...is it possible to put the article on the Forum for the non TCI Memebers to see?.....Doug

I'd have to assume that doing so would be in breach of something! The TCI newsletter is the flag ship of TCI so that is there main drawing card for them to bring in new members. I think they have a special for new members though with 16 months of electronic newsletters for either the regular 1 year rate of$25 or it might even be on special for new members at $20.

Terry

tjmack99

So, Kidphone, what makes your 5302 A "not real". Is it the dial? That's what stood out to me, but I don't know very much about 5302s. It looks very cool, was that dial never actually intended to go on the 5302?

And while we're on the subject, is the 5302 with the G1 handset considered any more or less desirable, vs the F handset?

Doug Rose

The concensus is that the dial blank that goes where the number ring would be is really from a 500 type Stromberg Carlson making it a Frankenphone and not the real deal. I still think its cool and I'm keeping it. 5302s came with both the F1 and the F1 handsets, both are common and one is not more scarce than the other.....Doug
Kidphone

tjmack99

Hey thanks. I should have read all the posts, because much of my question was already discussed. I agree that it's a really cool look. To the un-trained eye, the 5302's with the G1 handset look just like a 500. But keeping the 302 dial really shows off the fact they it's a hybrid phone.

paul-f

Quote from: Wallphone on November 26, 2010, 06:34:46 PM
Paul, is that adapter ring listed in any of the BSP's (like 501-160-100)? I have one that looks like it on a SC 1543. I always considered that phone to be in the same category as the 5302. It mounts from inside the body and it is the same size as what would fit into a 500. There is no way that it would fit in a 5302. Doug, did you get to look inside to see how yours is mounted?

Hi Doug P.

I agree that Doug R's dial mount looks like the one in your SC 1543. 

Here's a photo showing SC apparatus blanks made with two pieces.  The white one is seperated, showing that it could be used to hold a 3" dial in a 1543-style set.

It's interesting that the SC 1543 Field Handbook in the TCI Library shows a one piece blank. 
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3481&Itemid=2

Anyone have documentation for the two piece blank or a photo of the one piece blank?

I've also attached photos of some other SC sets with the blank/dial adapter.  I wish I had some of the sets, particularly the brown one!  :(
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

deedubya3800

Personally, I like the G-series handsets better on a 5302 because they fit the look of the phone. The F-series just looks loose. Based on what I see on eBay, they seem roughly just as common as one another in the real world.

wds

I just acquired my second 5302 along with a 1954 500, and a 1956 500.  I usually don't buy doubles of a particular phone, but I couldn't pass this one up.  It's built on a 1937 base.  The components are all 1937 except for the ringer, which I assumed they replaced when it was converted to the 5302.  They're all dirty, and will require a lot of elbow grease, but not bad for $40 including shipping.  They all have the 4 prong plug, and the seller even included an adapter.  Probably won't keep the 500's, except maybe for parts. 
Dave

AdamAnt316

Here are my 5302s (both with F-type handsets). The first one is technically a 5304 (101B inductor/B2A ringer), but has "5302G" stamped on the bottom plate. The housing which came with it had a piece missing from the front left corner when I got it, but I've since replaced it.

The second 5302 has more conventional innards, but the housing was apparently originally for a 5410 (hence the metal plug where the line switch would've been). The housing and handset (F1W) both lack Bell System markings.  The bottom plate has "5314" stamped on it, for some reason, along with a date of 1965 and a snowflake-type marking.

rp2813

Doug, your 5302  with #5 dial looks exactly like what I had envisioned one would, before I had ever seen one for real.  I guess Ma Bell felt it was worth it to go with a #6 dial and a numbered outer ring in order to make sure the subscribers who got 5302's were fooled into thinking they had a new 500.

I really like your 5302, or whatever it is!
Ralph

Tom B

Here's mine. I plan to change the F1 for a bakelite G1 spare that I have. I also think it looks better. I'm also hoping a straight handset cord for sale on eBay at the moment, which will be fitted if I win it. I usually like keeping things as they come, but this is the style of 5302 that I want.
Having said all that I still like Doug's hybrid - very nice phone.
Tom

Doug Rose

Quote from: Tom B on December 29, 2010, 04:23:23 PM
Here's mine. I plan to change the F1 for a bakelite G1 spare that I have. I also think it looks better. I'm also hoping a straight handset cord for sale on eBay at the moment, which will be fitted if I win it. I usually like keeping things as they come, but this is the style of 5302 that I want.
Having said all that I still like Doug's hybrid - very nice phone.
thanks s guys...I like it the minute I saw it, maybe not the real deal but someone had some ingenuity to put it together....Doug
Kidphone

guitar1580

Here's my oddball 5302, and this is how I bought it.  I got most of my phones approx. 15 yrs ago through want ads, yard sales, flea markets, etc., before I had the net, ebay, etc.

This phone has an E handset which is like new.  My area is quite rural, esp. back in the 40's, and many of the phone companies were small.  I've heard many stories of mix / match parts being used, and using whatever would work to get it going.  I'm wondering if this one got a repair call for a broken handset, and got a new E slapped on because that's what was available or in the truck at the moment.

Any phone tech. "in the know" who would go to sell it would surely slap a bakelite G or F on it and sell the near mint E seperately, maybe for more than the whole 5302, wouldn't we?

Anyway, I'm leaving it as is, since that's how I found it, as a possible company mix / match.  I'll post another thread on a similar situation I ran across with an old 500 here locally.

Josh P

Dennis Markham

Josh, that's pretty cool that you got the phone that way.  The E1 handset is very nice and a keeper for sure.  I don't think I've ever seen another 5302 with an E handset.  Thanks for the pictures.