News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 5302G with a odd suffix code

Started by RotoTech99, August 13, 2015, 02:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

A friend of mine sent me a picture of a WE 5302G with a F1W handset with the code 5302GX marked on it..

What would the x suffix stand for.. I have a lot of the 5300 set coding, but the "X' suffix is new to me; Is someone familiar with that suffix
in 5302 codes?

Can someone tell me what it would stand for, please?

unbeldi

The 5300/5400s were assembled in the work shops of the service centers and perhaps by outside shops, so there likely was not a coherent system-wide designation system for them, other than the model number.  Sometimes the sets are described in great detail in the codes, sometimes not.  For example, I have some that state:  5302GR3GF, indicating the model, 5302G, the retractile cord (R), color black (3), and having a GF handset (500-type with 302-type elements).

I don't recall having seen X designations either.

What are the features of the set? 

RotoTech99

It had no special feature aside from the F1W handset... He only shown me the baseplate photo showing the marking.

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 13, 2015, 04:03:20 PM
It had no special feature aside from the F1W handset... He only shown me the baseplate photo showing the marking.

It would also be interesting to know the date of the housing. If it is very late, perhaps the set wasn't even assembled in the Bell System, we have reports that quantities of new housing were sold off to third parties after they discontinued issuing them ca. 1965.

Perhaps that's why it has an F1W handset, and not a standard one.

RotoTech99

My friend tells me his 5302GRX dates from Dec. 1948

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 13, 2015, 06:27:25 PM
My friend tells me his 5302GRX dates from Dec. 1948

5302s were assembled between fall of 1955 and ca. 1964 or 65.
The date of 1948 must be the date of the revamped 302-base that was used. Those were stamped on the base, inside, and on the ringer coils.

The true age of the 5302, its assembly date, comes most closely from the yellow (or white?) date stamp on the left or front edge inside the plastic housing.

RotoTech99

Neither he or I could find a date code on the housing, butbthere was a IV-50 date on the B1AL ringer.

I have the sneaky feeling his set is lot like some of mine, refurbs by a local telco. that had them with mixed date components.

Thanks for trying, if you hear of anyone who knows more about the X suffix code, keep me in mind.
~RotoTech99

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 13, 2015, 07:23:01 PM
Neither he or I could find a date code on the housing, butbthere was a IV-50 date on the B1AL ringer.

I have the sneaky feeling his set is lot like some of mine, refurbs by a local telco. that had them with mixed date components.

Thanks for trying, if you hear of anyone who knows more about the X suffix code, keep me in mind.
~RotoTech99

All 5302s are refurbs.  The dates on the base components, handset, could be anything between 1937 and 1954 or so, in any mixture.  The only dates that are important are those dates on the housings, and possibly a refurbishing stamp on the dial, and the date on the dial number plate.  The dial is remarked 5M (for a No.5 dial) or 6H for a No.6 dial, because of the new (non-)number plate (164C-3) which also carries a date.

The refurbishing shops tested and restored returned 302s from the field, ordered conversion parts from Western Electric (housing, dial mount/bezel, ringer gong adjustments, number plates, GF handsets) and assembled the sets.

In 1956 the date stamps on the housing were still white, and that later changed to green (not yellow, as stated earlier).

Typically the sets also have a date stamp on the bottom. All of mine have them, but the format varies.  From just month and year, e.g. NOV 1959,   to  a full date:   JUN 26, 1962

RotoTech99

he couldn't find that, and I couldn't locate it on mine... I think it was covered over or removed when the housings were redone.

poplar1

Is the logo on your friend's housing "Bell System, made by Western Electric", or just "Western Electric"?

Here is a Bell System 5302 with X marking: (5302 GRX-3)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231652838669

For what it's worth, the seller says it has "F" and "H" on the outside of the caps, indicating that this is a GF handset (G1 handle + F1 transmitter unit + HA1 receiver unit).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Ah, that would explain the missing date.  Telephones for the independent market weren't stamped with a date by my observations, and since WECo would never expect them to be returned for service they had no interest to know the date.  I have ringers and induction coils for example with no date markings on instruments with F1W handsets.

But...   why would WECo make them in the first place?  I doubt they were put together by WECo.  Probably an independent company ordered the conversion kits to retrofit the 302s they already had.

DiaLen

I'm the lucky guy that picked up the 5302GRX-3 phone, and it's going to be a beauty. There were some wiring issues that I figured out and fixed so it's working fine now. I'm hoping to get some of the "cloudiness" out of the handset yet and just generally put more of a shine on the entire phone. It's quickly becoming my favorite of the few that I have.
By the way, the shell is dated 1962 and most internal components are 1949.
-Len
Be faithful to the commitments of your life.

N7LTH

That's gonna be one nice phone.

The 5302's are way cool in my opinion. A truly brilliant idea on W.E.'s behalf to make good use of the surplus 302 parts they had on hand.

Just snagged my second 5302 this morning on eBay, from someone in Seattle which is only about 110 miles from me. First one I got has an "F" handset and #5M dial; the new one has the "G" handset/#6 dial.
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".