"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess Phone on UK network

Started by BpoolUK70, August 29, 2015, 06:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BpoolUK70

Hi.  My first post!  :)
I'm in the UK and considering a WE Princess phone (701/702) to add to my collection.
Are there any technically experienced / UK members that have successfully connected & got the bulb to light up?

I've got other American phones connected ok..  just curious about the power needed for the Princess bulb. 

Appreciate any help
David

TelePlay

Welcome to the forum.

To get you started, you will need a separate transformer plugged into an AC source to provide power to the Princess light. One like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-2012A-Transformer-for-Bell-Systems-Princess-Telephones-/231666692334

Just did a quick search to get you thinking about this. Others may have other types or sources and will post them along with how to connect them to your phone to light the lamp.

An eBay search will turn up others at better prices, I'm sure. Try this link

unbeldi

Quote from: Javaguyuk on August 29, 2015, 06:21:05 AM
Hi.  My first post!  :)
I'm in the UK and considering a WE Princess phone (701/702) to add to my collection.
Are there any technically experienced / UK members that have successfully connected & got the bulb to light up?

I've got other American phones connected ok..  just curious about the power needed for the Princess bulb. 

Appreciate any help
David

Welcome!
Originally, the light bulb in the Princess was powered by a Western Electric No. 2012A or 2012C transformer.  It was a simple A.C. transformer for 105-125 V  60 Hz,  with a secondary winding that output 6-8 V delivering 0.25 Amps or 1.75 VA.

These transformers had a very high internal impedance of 50%, and could withstand short-circuits. When shorted they drew only 0.5 A.

You can use any transformer or DC power supply that provides 6 to 8 volts and a quarter amp.

BpoolUK70

Thanks for the replies.
I have looked at UK power transformers, only found BT have the modular plug.
6.5v 150mA seems to be the closest or 7.5v DC 300mA - not found any other brand.

I'm not experienced with electrics, so maybe best to avoid getting the light to work!

Would be good to hear from UK members that actually have a working phone.

:)

twocvbloke

Quote from: Javaguyuk on August 29, 2015, 11:51:40 AM7.5v DC 300mA - not found any other brand.

That one would sound reasonable, as 300mA is 0.3A, so within the 0.25A range with a little to spare... :)

I've yet to find an affordable Princess here in Blighty, so can't claim the working status... :(

unbeldi

If you have a large flash lamp with a lantern battery (usually 6V), you can use that for testing without having to mess with utility power connections, if that's a concern.

Wiring depends slightly on the type of Princess you'll have.  The early ones, 701B, had a 6-conductor cord, while the first 702B models had a five-conductor cord.  The late modular sets used an RJ14 with four pins, in these the center two (green, red) are for the line and the outer two contacts (yellow, black) are for the lamp power.