News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Model 90

Started by joey67, March 04, 2011, 08:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey67

I am looking to get one, any general advice would be helpful.
It has been wired for modern modular jack and doesn't ring. Why?
Thanks

GG

First check to see that there's a bell inside; many 90s were installed without ringers.

Second, check to see that the bell is a "straight-line" ringer instead of a "harmonic" (party line) ringer.  The way to do this is, flick the bell clapper with your finger.  If it just goes "ding - dong!" against the bells once, it's probably a straight line ringer.  If it strikes one bell only and then hangs out between the two bells and kinda' vibrates gently back and forth for a second or two, it's a harmonic ringer. 

Harmonic ringers require specific frequencies of ringing current and generally won't work on 20 Hz. central office or PBX ringing, unless you're willing to do some modifications on them to de-tune them sufficiently to get them to ring.  The necessary mods are tricky, require skill to do properly, and are difficult to describe.  Personally I try to avoid dealing with harmonic ringers unless they're unavoidable (Kellogg 1000s for example), but I've gotten a couple to work well enough to produce a quiet but acceptable ring.

If you have a straight line ringer in there, the other possible cause of no ringing is that the mod cord wasn't wired correctly to include a jumper to the terminal screw for the ringer.  Unfortunately, AE went through so many design changes for their transmission network (and a few for the base of the phone; originally they used the same baseplates as type 80s, then they got their own baseplate, and then it went through a couple of subtle changes) that it's difficult to describe what gets wired to what and which terminals to use (even assuming it was installed per GTE Practices, which is questionable since independent telcos all do things their own ways). 

There is a copy of GTE Practices for AE 90 posted somewhere on line, and someone here probably knows where to find it and can post a URL.  That document would tell you everything you need to know to get a 90 working. 

joey67

: I received the phone yesterday. I made my best attempt to figure out if the phone is a harmonic ringer or not, but I can't. Is there anyone that can help me more to figure out if it is wiring or if it just won't ring with the Verizon service. The ringer is marked Automatic Electric – D fallowed by a series of numbers. Hope this is of some help, thanks. 

Dennis Markham

Joey, can you post some photos of the inside of the phone?   A picture is worth a thousand words.  If you can, show the ringer itself and then the wiring connections.  Someone here will be able to help you.

AE_Collector

If pictures aren't possible, tell us everything else written on the ringer besides the "D" number. If there is a "SL" anywhere on it you should be good to go. If you see any 2 digit number along with a "~" you are most likely looking at a frequency ringer.

Terry

stub

joey67 ,
             The top ringer is a frequency( harmonic ) ringer and the bottom is a straight line ringer.
             How about numbers on the transmission unit ( network ). If you have a straight line ringer and a WA-1154 transmission unit  ( network ) put a jumper wire from #6 to #9 and it should ring. If wire on #9 is long enough, you can move it to #6 and you won't need a jumper wire. Hope this helps. Pictures would be very helpful.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

joey67

The Ringer does say "SL" on top of it. I suppose this is for straight line. Behind the hook switch there is a set of empty terminals than way in the back a set with only back an white wires. On the other side where the handset and such hooks to the terminals there are numbered terminals there, but I don't see a number 6 or 9.

I get pictures up.

joey67

stub1953

My ringer looks  like the straight line one in the picture you posted. The set of terminals behind the hook switch like the one in your picture is labeled 6 - 10 from left to right. Only 10 has a black wire on it. The rest of these are blank. The ringer also is labeled: 56548 ASL. Then down for that on the label  is SL.

I hope this helps to figure how to wire it to ring. thanks !

stub

joey67 ,
            The network in my other pic is from a AE 80 desk set.  Here is a pic of my 90 network ( D-38385-A)
We have to identify your network to help .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

joey67

I hope these pictures help.

joey67

more pictures to help

AE_Collector

Where does that red wire on terminal "4G" go to? If it is one of the ringer wires try moving it to L2 and if that doesn't work try it on L1. I thought you said the phone had been modified with a modern jack (plug?). I don't see any connections for that in the pictures. Should be on L1 and L2 of the terminal strip.

That is "One Old AE90" you have there. Built on an AE80 baseplate and has the painted hook rather than Chrome. Late 50's.

Terry

joey67

The modern modular jack was wired to L1 green and L2 red. I removed them for the pictures. The other place were I see a red wire is under the yellow wire  on terminal 5R where the handset wires are. There is a red wire on one of the ringer coils.
I tested for continuity from that red wire on 4G and 5R and it does measure resistance in the high ohms.
I think this might be one side of the ringer coils.
I don't know any of this makes sense.

stub

joey67 ,
            Does the rest of your phone work right?    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

joey67

Yes the phone makes and receives calls.