News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two more phones.

Started by ....., August 06, 2015, 05:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picked up two more phones today. One is a what I believe to be a AE / GTE business phone. The other is a 1970 NE avocado green 554.
If anyone has any information on the business phone that would be a help.

DavePEI

Quote from: Autonut on August 06, 2015, 05:57:20 PM
Picked up two more phones today. One is a what I believe to be a AE / GTE business phone. The other is a 1970 NE avocado green 554.
If anyone has any information on the business phone that would be a help.
Doug: That is an AE 187 three line phone. It is a Telephone with 3-line capability had 3 line and 3 hold buttons. It is the later version of the AE-87a. Both this phone or a AE-87a may be used as in intercom system, or with a commercial system, and a combination of both modes.

I don't know if I have a practice for it here, but I will look. I do have a 187A and 87A in the Museum collection.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave203

compubit

Back in the 80s, our church had the newer version of this phone: Touch calling (tone, not pulse), with LEDs.  They had 2 lines and an intercom and 4 or 5 stations. I was there when they were installed and kept the schematic that was in the box(at the time) - unfortunately, it's long gone.

The LEDs would blink on ringing, and were on when the line was in use or on hold (no way of determining whether a line was on hold or active). I remember thinking the red/white/red/white/red/white pattern was unusual (this was soon after we moved to GTE territory), after having spent everything prior (where I was cognizant of phones, at least) in Southwestern Bell / WE 565 office phone territory - my elementary school had red 565s, my dad's office (school district finance manager/Asst. superintendent) had a yellow 2565 in it. 

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Anyone have any idea of what year the AE 187 would be? I don't see any markings that resembles one.

DavePEI

Quote from: Autonut on August 08, 2015, 05:39:43 AM
Anyone have any idea of what year the AE 187 would be? I don't see any markings that resembles one.
Not sure exactly what year they changed over to the 187 design.... Probably around the same time they changed from AE80 to AE80e.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001