News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rusty PTT Standard 1954

Started by b3tamax11, September 19, 2017, 01:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

I have this rusty PTT Standard 1954 that is a mess I don't know where to begin with. Given the state its in I dont even think it will work with the parts inside of it right now. Does anyone have any recommendations for going about working on a phone like this or is it a lost cause?

TelePlay

Doesn't look that bad. I've seen worse.

Looks like a frequency (harmonic) ringer missing its gongs so that would need to be replaced.

This is from a eBay help page from 2006 which may or may not be of help. Others can help but it does reference the 13 connector wiring block and it may get you started on this phone. In the mean time, the following may be of some help checking the wiring connections and maybe putting the line cord on the right terminals.  Links found at this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=41.0

"Some of you out there have probably purchased a Dutch or Belgian "standard" PTT telephone. These come in a number of different flavors, but there are three main biggies: The Belgian Western Electric 302 variant or look-alike (1945 through the late 70's made by Bell System AG Belgium), the Dutch HEEMAF or the Dutch "Ruen" or Ericsson phones.

All of these have a common wiring scheme more or less. The parts may not be interchangeable but they have similar if not identical values and characteristics. For instances the Belgian "standard" HEEMAF uses the Siemens type dial and the Ruen and Ericsson versions use the Ericsson dial.

When you remove the base shell from the base plate of the phone, in the back you will see a wiring block with 13 connections. Here are the values for those connections so its easy for you to convert it for your use here in the United States. Wiring block connections are numbered 1 - 13 so its hard to miss: DIAL = Red to 1, Yellow to 2, Blue (or Blue & Green) to 3; HANDSET = Red (Transmitter) to 5, Blue (Receiver/Transmitter.Common) to 6 and Yellow (Receiver) to 7. JUMPER CABLE: You need a small jumper wire from 9 to 10. LINE CORD = Green to 9 or 10 and Red to 11.

Your phone should work at that point."

And this follow up.

"In an earlier Guide I wrote an article about how to wire up a Dutch PTT, PTT Standard Phone or Belgian Standard telephone for use in the U.S. Since that time it came to my attention that SOME, not all but a few Dutch PTT's require that the jumper be placed between 10 and 11 on the wiring or bus strip rather than between 9 and 10. Apparently some of the earlier 1950's PTT's had a slightly different schematic. So as a correction, having located one of those phones, here is the alternate wiring set-up:

Dial: Red to 1, Yellow to 2, Blue to 3.

Handset: Red to 5, Blue to 6, Yellow to 7.

Line cord: Red to 9, Green to 10.

Jumper: 10 to 11."

LarryInMichigan

Being that these phones are quite plentiful and cheap in the USA, and probably also in Canada, I wouldn't try to restore it but instead keep it for parts.  Those metric terminal screws can be useful for other phones which are missing them.

Larry

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on September 19, 2017, 05:25:27 AM

Looks like a frequency (harmonic) ringer missing its gongs so that would need to be replaced.

Were harmonic ringers even used in Europe? If not, were there multi-party lines?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on September 19, 2017, 10:21:06 AM
Were harmonic ringers even used in Europe? If not, were there multi-party lines?

Don't know. dsk would know better.

The picture does not show the base well, can't read what's printed on the coils, no spring is visible, can't tell if it a pivot or a reed and the clapper looks more like one found on a non-SL ringer. I'm guessing to fill the void until the experts say I'm wrong.

dsk

First, Ill guess this one will work after a little cleaning, and dragging some dry regular paper between the contacts.
It is not an harmonic ringer, but should ring at 15-30 maybe even 50 Hz.
As far as I know tuned ringers was not used, but a variation of grounded ringing on ring or tip. Usually not more than 2 on a single line.
On the magnetos, they had Morse ring signals, and could be up to 16 on a line.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

I don't think that any of those phones used frequency ringers.  Like most European ringers, the ones in these phones have no bias spring, so they will tap the gongs (assuming that there are gongs) when another phone is picked up or dialed.

Larry

dsk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 19, 2017, 12:33:29 PM
I don't think that any of those phones used frequency ringers.  Like most European ringers, the ones in these phones have no bias spring, so they will tap the gongs (assuming that there are gongs) when another phone is picked up or dialed.

Larry
Larry, as far as I remember your PTT looks more like this than mine, do you have a diagram for yours?

dsk

TelePlay

How about this diagram? Diagram connections seem to fit the picture of the phone.

AL_as_needed

Does the '54 require pins 10 and 13 to be jumped for US wiring like my 51? I cannot recall what each of those two do as its been some time Matilo and I discussed it when i had issues last year.
TWinbrook7

dsk

Quote from: AL_as_needed on September 20, 2017, 06:38:43 AM
Does the '54 require pins 10 and 13 to be jumped for US wiring like my 51? I cannot recall what each of those two do as its been some time Matilo and I discussed it when i had issues last year.

For most countries, US included the line wires are here terminal no 10 and 11.  To get ringer working a strap between 9 and 10 is needed, to lower the REN load, this strap may be replaced by a resistor or capacitor. (I prefere a 1 uF capacitor)

No 13 is the ground wire, and only meant for an older European Recall button, (pretty equal to your ground start button)
Today it's no need for no 13!

dsk

dsk

It looks like 2 pictured in this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1619.msg21716#msg21716

Even colors of the wire seems equal.

dsk