News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color phones on The Avengers

Started by McHeath, July 16, 2009, 01:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I have not been able to see a single one of McHeath's pictures, and my own computer does not recognize a tiff (4 character) extension.   And I am running an HP that is only 2 years old.

I know if I had the patience, I could download them to my own computer and individually change the tiff to tif, but I guess I am too lazy.  All I see are the file names and no pictures.

-Bill
-Bill G

HobieSport

I'm guessing a simple solution to all this tiffy nonsense might just to stick to using .jpg ?

I generally always use .jpg (and not .jpeg) and the occasional .gif on the web and reserve using TIFFs for printing.

As it is even with Dennis' telling the forum software to accept .tiff, I still have to click on the attachments here and open them up in Photoshop to see them.

But of course I'll gladly wait to see Emma Peel and those great cars anytime. ;)

-Hobie
-Matt

McHeath

Gee what a weird world is computerland.  My own computer has no problem with seeing the tiff files and even shows them in the posts just like usual.   Curious.  Anyway, here is one of the pics, the original one of the phones, as a jpg, let me know if it shows as usual.

Phonesrfun

Ah, now I can see it.  THose are great!

My computer at work can't see the original pics either, and I am at work right now.  Maybe its a Walla Walla thing.  These farmer servers just can't hack them tiff files.

Oh, and one other thing, old chap, since we are talking about The Avengers, the reference to the "Color" phones......shouldn't that be "Colour"?  I'm surprised that Stephen Furley hasn't alerted you to the slip-up!   ;D

-Bill
-Bill G

bingster

It may be a function of the browser, too.  Even though the forum is now set up to use tiffs, most browsers probably won't display them.
= DARRIN =

foots

I click the link then hit open and I can see them no problem.
Bloody 'ell Bill, your spot on about it being colour.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Bill

I have (apparently) associated tiff files with IrfanView, since that is what pops up to show me these pictures. But I notice they also open up just fine in MS Paint, which must be on every PC known to man. Phonesrfun, IrfanView is free and quite capable. Or you might try setting the tiff association to Paint.

Bill

Phonesrfun

This is getting crazy.

I am at work, and I cannot download a 3rd party program and install in on my computer.  I work at a commercial bank, and the IT department has this thing locked down pretty good.  I could, of course, have the system administrator do that for me, but I won't.

So, I did change the default file extension association in control panel from the Windows default to Paint.  I changed it for both TIF and TIFF.  Still had the problem, so I rebooted, and I am STILL getting an error message.  When I actually take the time to read the message, it is one that I have never seen before and suggests something else is wrong.  Here is the message I am getting, if anyone can tell me what this really means:

"Internet Explorer cannot download...tach;topic=1274.0;attach=5848 from www.classicrotaryphones.com

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site.  The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.  Please try again later."

Anyone have any clues??

-Bill
-Bill G

HobieSport

Heath, your latest .jpg of the phones works for me in both Firefox and Explorer. Both browsers show the whole rest of the thread the same.

All I can say is, if we stick with posting our pics as .jpg, .jpeg and .gif and avoid using the TIFF format, I suspect we can get past this glitch and move on.

In the interests of computer science, here are five images in different formats/spellings to see what shows up the best on each of our computers.

1.) .tif
2.) .tiff
3.) .gif
4.) .jpg
5.) .jpeg

On my computer, the TIFFs don't show up. The JPEGs and GIFs work fine.

Like I said, I never use TIFFS on the net. I only use it for printing.

Hope this helps so we can move on and look at more phones, cars, and Emma Peels. ;)

-Hobie
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie, all of your photos worked with my browser (Firefox) except the TIF.  I did not add TIF (one "F") into the allowable extensions.  I will do that as soon as I post this.  Probably the best thing to do is try and keep our uploads to JPG, JPEG and GIF's for simplicity.  But these are the extensions currently allowed by the software:

doc,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip,tiff,tif,

HobieSport

Thanks Dennis,

Odd that now that you've added .tiff and .tif into the allowable extensions, they still don't show up other than attachments that need to be opened with other programs. But enough of this glitchy gobbledeegook I hope. Just avoid the TIFFs I guess.

So...Heath, back to the subject. The Avengers pics are great fun. Can you find any more with phones in them? Or even better, with phones and Emma Peel and weird looking villains? Or a dapper (as always) Steed? All the classy and funny old cars are great too.

One thing that really strikes me in the pics is the intense color, and as Stephen pointed out, that they used 35mm film, making the images so sharp.  At first the intense color really threw me off and I thought it didn't look at all like The Avengers that I knew and loved as a kid. Then I remembered; We were watching them all on our B & W TV! They looked great in B & W too, but as you may know, I'm a B & W fanboy.
-Matt

McHeath

This is from an episode called "Mission: Highly Improbable" in which Steed and Emma both end up reduced in size.  Steed here is trying to dial a 706.

McHeath

Emma in her flat on her red 706.

McHeath

Steed wacking the bad guy, The Winged Avenger, with a good solid "POW!" while Batmanish music plays. 

HobieSport

Love the pic of the mini-Steed trying to dial the giant phone. Hmm...seems like that phone cord could use some time on a dowel in the dishwasher...looks a bit bent out off shape. ;)
-Matt