and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phil's Western Electric Strowger Step by Step Exchange

Started by Weco355aman, November 29, 2012, 09:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weco355aman

Phil's Western Electric Strowger Step by Step Exchange Pictures:
http://www.strowgercentraloffice.com/gallery2/index.php/Strowger_SXS

A YouTube Video showing Phil's Stromberg Carlson X-Y Switch and his Western Electric Strowger Exchange in action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQ7b3dtIzI
Phil

Phonesrfun

To all:

I was just at Phil's last Saturday.  What a remarkable place!  He has put so much work and so many resources into his central office(s).  It is absolutely remarkable.  If anyone happens to be in the Portland, Oregon vicinity, you should consider looking him up.  Phil is about 50 miles from Portland, which is a pretty easy drive.

Not only does he have a central office with multiple switch types, he also has switchboards and two large display areas.  You might guess that he is an avid switcher.  He is also on C*Net.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

Phil, great video~! looking forward to seeing it in person! John
John

Weco355aman

Repaired broken link. Please send a PM if link does not work.
http://www.strowgercentraloffice.com/gallery2/index.php/Strowger_SXS
New Sit URL   http://www.stepswitch.us
Phil

Weco355aman

Phil

AE_Collector

Good addition Phil.

I cant believe everything you have packed in that building! Time to come visit soon I think.

Terry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Weco355aman

Phil

Babybearjs

John

AE_Collector

Unbelievable Phil.

How and when did you get started at this? Its on your property so you've moved everything to that building. What were some of the larger acquisitions and how close to home were they?

Terry

Butch Harlow

That is some truly amazing stuff. I watched the first shorter video and was so interested when youtube linked me to the 27 minute video I sat there and watched it all. For the most part, I have no idea what was really going on having zero experience in switching, but you explain it in such a way that I am totally interested. It's amazing to see all the equipment working and the miles and miles of wiring. That is a truly impressive accomplishment and an amazing way to preserve history. Thanks for the videos! I was even more amazed that you have all that knowledge packed inside your head, again thanks for sharing.
Butch Harlow

Weco355aman

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 18, 2017, 07:29:31 PM
Unbelievable Phil.

How and when did you get started at this? Its on your property so you've moved everything to that building. What were some of the larger acquisitions and how close to home were they?

Terry

This is made up from 5 or so Central offices, I purchased 5 c.o.'s that was being retired, I have a #3 crossbar switch, S.C. x-y ,Itec, North c x 100, and a AE sxs. I also have a lot of toll Equipment, This has been a 20 year project minus 5 years of eBay, very little was done during that time, One thing to remember  is That i was a professional C.O. installer, so building it and wiring it was not as big of a challenge for me, as it would be for most. I stopped counting wire wrap and 66 block connections when i reached 30,000. There is a lot.

Phil

AE_Collector

Who did you work for doing COE Installation? I did that for 15 years in theory in British Columbia but in reality I spent most of that time doing PABX's rather than CO's.

Terry