News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 phone will not ring

Started by carl, April 08, 2009, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Hello..new here.I have just gotten a model 5302 black rotary desktop phone that works but does not ring,and after switching wires
back and forth have exhausted my ideas and was wondering if anyone could help this novice to get his phone ringing.It says 4-39
inside.I would really appreciate any guidance.Thank you very much,Carl

benhutcherson

Carl,

For starters, would it be possible for you to post a few clear and detailed photos of the inside of your telephone?

Often times, one of the sharp guys here can spot wiring errors that even the most experienced telephone guys might overlook.

It's very rare for a telephone to not ring once wired correctly, but it's entirely possible that you have either a faulty component or some non-standard equipment.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Welcome Carl. A few pictures will help, if you are digitally challenged like me, at least let us know currently which wires coming off the ringer are on what terminals (should have letters next to them).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

mienaichizu

hey we have another newbie, welcome!

carl

Oh,this is great,and I want to thank everyone for replying.I took a pic of the phone but how would I attach it? Carl

BDM

Quote from: carl on April 09, 2009, 05:53:50 PM
Oh,this is great,and I want to thank everyone for replying.I took a pic of the phone but how would I attach it? Carl

When you make a post, look below the message window. You'll see a link for Additional Options. Click it, and you can load the pic right from your PC.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

carl

Oh,I see,here's a pic of the phone itself.Carl

BDM

Swap the red (L2) and green(L1) wires around as shown. Then move what appears to be the red ringer wire to L2. Then move what appears to be the gray ringer wire to the condenser wire, where you originally had the red ringer circuit. Hope I have it right. This phone is wired a little differently from what I'm used to. But, you say it works so I won't change that. Get rid of the yellow ground wire. You don't need it.

Somehow I'm wondering if that condenser is wired to the network properly. It doesn't appear to be. Did you follow the wiring diagram that D/P posted?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

carl

Hi again..still no ringing so I'll recheck the condensor wiring,if I can figure it out,as it's a little confusing but I'll try again tomorrow when
my head is a little clearer.Whew! These wires are all around me.Thank you.I do appreciate your help.Best,Carl

carl

I was actually able to get it to ring somewhat,in that the gong that moves against the ringers did move once or twice and I could hear
a faint muffled sound but am still wondering about the wiring.Anyway,would movement indicate that I'm almost there? Thanks,Carl

BDM

Carl, there really is no almost. D/P posted an excellent schematic to follow. Here it is
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Check to make sure you don't have a wire touching one or both of the gongs. This, in my experience, is the most common cause of a phone which "almost" rings.

This also extends to any wires which hang down from the top of the shell when it's installed-they too can muffle the ringing.

carl

Success!! When I finally got my colors straight,everything went into place and....it rings! Thanks so much everyone.I'll be back and forth
here,since I do have some other oldtimers that actually do work and who knows..we might be doing some trading.This was a toughie but perserverance pays.Again,thanks.Carl S NYC