News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Automatic Electric Art Deco Telephone CREAM old eBay 150565097282

Started by Doug Rose, February 25, 2011, 09:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I saw this go for a decent amount on eBay. I looked at it more than once. I felt I could get the Ivory back or close to original but had no idea how to repair the shrinkage. It went higher than I would have spent. Any ideas on how to bring this guy back to its past glory?....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/45qv3kb
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I was watching that one as well Doug. I almost posted it here as well for those who say they can't afford colored AE phones.

I don't know of anyone who has figured out how to reverse shrinkage in these early thermoplastic AE's and this one has it "bad"! I'd hatre to even try to remove the dial from it. I put a dial into one that sat without a dial for years and I had to use one of those small sanpaper drums in a drill press to make the dial opening large enough for the dial it had shrunk so much.

This one is typical of my "colored AE" collection though. Would have bought the cracked walnut one a few days ago if it had gone for $100 instead of $600.

Terry

Doug Rose

Hey Terry...on the cracked Walnut AE 40, did you want to take a shot at repairing it or was it for the parts?

I am curious why the AE and Conn color phones seem to shrink out of shape but the bases remaining intact, while the WE phones shrink until they crack, but remain in there shape. I know my grey Conn Toaster is very thin compared to the WE color sets. I have never held a color AE. Are they really thin? What is you opinion? I'd enjoy seeing a picture(s) for your Old Color AE collection.

On a side note, does AE Collector mean no WE at all? Just curious.....Doug
Kidphone

RDP

You could try soaking the whole thing in Brake Fluid, I do this with old dried out rubber and works well 50% of the time depending on how dried out it is. What do ya gotta lose, it's beyond help as I see it anyway.