http://tinyurl.com/24t9gh9
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

Go for it Harry! He doesn't have a reserve price set on it so I'll bet you could save a few hundred $ by waiting. Unless someone "Buys it Now".
Dougpav

Doug Rose

Harry....it "was" the Holy Grail of telephones, but lately a week doesn't go by when another graces eBay. This should have a Seamless Bullet transmitter and seamless covers, so the handset is a replacement. Not original as advertised. Still a nice set. Are the A1s as rare as advertised, I don't think so....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Plus the 684 has neen "upgraded" with a coil out of a 302
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

I think there were FAR more A1's made than the urban legends on e-Bay would have you believe.  But, they are still in short supply and unique.

I did buy one a few years ago and spent the $$ for it.  After doing so, I kept seeing them come up on e-Bay over and over again, so I knew there were not just a few hundred made.
-Bill G

KeithB

I appreciate the fact that it's reasonably well photographed and described, despite the hyperbole.  Seems everything on eBay is 'rare' these days, at least for those who want such things.  ;D

paul-f

A lot of the hype surrounding the A1s is left over from pre-internet days.  Collectors wanted one simply because it was the first production desk phone with a handset made by Western Electric.  In those days we had to find them from local sources or phone shows and they were very hard to come by.  One collector even published a speculation that there were fewer than 1000 left in existence, due to the difficulty of finding them.  This number and notion were propagated for years and became part of the culture.

When we started linking with other collectors by email, it became clear that there were more A1s than was generally believed.  Ebay provided even better communication among buyers and sellers on a global scale -- totally readjusting the supply/demand balance.  However, more collectors decided they had to have one, so prices continued to rise -- for a while.

The impact of these trends was even more dramatic on other phone models.  One area in particular was the ATC/Deco-tel character phones (Mickey, Snoopy, Kermit and Winnie).  Before email, Mickey and Snoopy typically sold for $200 - 300, and Kermit and Winnie sold for more - usually at antique shops and shows.  Now that everyone knows how many of them are really out there, you're lucky to get $25 - 30 for them -- although some are still trying...

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/html?_nkw=telephone%20(snoopy%2C%20kermit%2Cwinnie)&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1
( dead link 01-23-22 )
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Paul....I do agree, these are still very cool phones but not as rare as we first thought when everyone called them AA1. I was fortunate getting mine, Janet found it in an Antique Store in NH with its ringer box, all original in working condition. It was advertised as a 202 and priced as a 202.  She didn't even have to call me, all my coaching was drilled in....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

We think the 1949 500 is a holy grail phone but who knows in 50 years someone might find their grandpas attic full of them.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on August 31, 2010, 10:41:58 PM
We think the 1949 500 is a holy grail phone but who knows in 50 years someone might find their grandpas attic full of them.

In 50 years, the "grandpas" you're referring to would be you, Kenny.  You got an attic full of them?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

He's got 50 years to fill it.  Could happen!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010