"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Limey here.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 24, 2014, 12:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Not that kind.
I finally was able to swing a lime green S/C 500.
The guy was asking $199.99, BIN. Or best offer.
I offered $125.00. He declined. So the auction went on. I finally contacted him, and said;  'OK what's the least you can take ?"
He said; "Your offer of $125.00, will be fine"
Maybe more than I expected, but still less than some have sold for.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mentalstampede

I've been watching that one myself.  $199 was just way too much! I'm glad it's found a good home.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Greg G.

They're hard to find and the competition is usually tough.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

RotarDad

Good news, Dan!  Those lime 500s are like the WE M-blue, not too common, but also with that broad appeal that draws lots of bidders.  Yours looks like it will clean up nicely - please post some pics when it's all done.
Paul

Mr. Bones

D/P,

I'm glad to see that you finally found one of your dream phones! 8) I'm looking forward to seeing how it cleans up; looks pretty darned nice already!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE40FAN

Congrats Dan.  Looks like it should clean up nicely.

WesternElectricBen

Nice find, will this one complete your 500 set collection?

Ben

Dan/Panther

I still need the med blue, and Rose beige, from the fifties. I'm just about covered with everything else.
I've seen a Coca Cola Red 500 before, but not recently.
D/P

Now back to the 49-500.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 24, 2014, 01:18:49 PM
I still need the med blue, and Rose beige, from the fifties. I'm just about covered with everything else.
D/P

Now back to the 49-500.

The 3 colors I have, but I'm basically missing the rest of the rare colors!

Ben

Mr. Bones

D/P

Now back to the 49-500.

I still ain't cool enough to possess a Lime Green SC 500... :o mebbe someday?? Super happy for your find, D/P!!! Happy Trails!!!

>Wanting a Coca Cola Red 500, as well.<

Best Regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

baldopeacock

Now back to the 49-500.

With your field trial 500, a '49 seems like running up the score.   :)

Dan/Panther

I agree, but everyone says keep looking.I will but I won't be too disappointed if one doesn't show up.
Now it's Med Blue soft plastic, and Mahogany brown, And Rose Beige. And if I find one, The Coca Cola Red.

D/P

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice job getting that Lime Green 500 DP, I know you've been wanting one for some time now. ;) The only  WE 500 colors I have yet to own are Mahogany Brown, Rose Beige, Light Grey (does a 554 count?), and Turquoise.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

Funny story about a turquoise 500 I won awhile back. I put a snipe bid in, and pretty much forgot about the auction. Well I won it, and when it arrived It was Sky Blue. Well I was a little upset, as the auction had clearly stated Turquoise. So I went back to the auction, to confirm that indeed it did say Turquoise. Well apparently someone had pointed out to the seller that the phone looked Blue. He checked further and changed the listing to reflect that it was indeed Blue and not turquoise. Because I had snipe bid the auction, I was sent an alert to the fact of the change.
Some times being sneaky can bite you in the butt.

D/P 

Dan/Panther

Well the phone came yesterday.
It's Lime Green alright. Feels nice to hold one in my grubby little hands, THAT BELONGS TO ME.
It does have 3 issues, well maybe 4.
1) It does need sanding as it has a brown tint to it.,
2) It has been dropped at one point, and has a compression mark at the lower rear, not so bad it can't be worked out.
3) A very slight horizontal crack at the front right corner. Again that can be fixed, and be relatively undetectable.
I pointed these out to the seller, and he agreed to refund $25.00. So in reality, I paid $100.00 for the phone.

Point number 4, and I need opinions on this one. The phone is not W.E., and I know that, I do not care for S/C components, they just don't stand up to W.E. What I want to do is, replace all the works with a vintage 1960 or so W.E. chassis, including dial, and the base. It has rubber feet, but I prefer the leather. Being it's not a W.E. would I be wrong in exchanging the works to W.E. ? I would of course keep the original parts in case I ever sold the Phone, Yeah Right !!

D/P