Started by gpo706, March 28, 2011, 07:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Here's the parcel, came today.

Do you think I should open it?

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

paul-f

Your call!

When boxes come in here, I rarely have the patience to admire the outside before ripping into it -- let alone take time to photograph it and post it to the group.   ;D
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gpo706

Hahaha,

the seller sent me the pic, he's a masterclass in wrapping and feedback, so I opened it and boy was it well packed about a weeks worth of newspapers, bubble wrap, airbags, bits of cardboard in two inserting boxes for a Tesco filter coffee maker, what I have learned is that seller likes his coffee and does the crossword.

The nicer of the two was a bit falling apart, in that the base screws that hold it together have been long lost, (nothing to do with the seller, must have been like this when he got it).

The scabby one can donate it's screws.

On a Dictograph, the rearmost 2 screws go into "L" shaped brackets on the rear panel and hold it firm and the cords, the front 2 screws go into the chassis and locate your flick lever panel and place the plunger into the top of the chassis to locate it correctly.

Sigh, as usual the RX caps have slender chips off them, a tendancy of the thinness of the mouldings of the caps, the TX's fare better and both look fine, the worst that happen to these is the grille "slats" over the TX break.

The cloth braids on both sets are shot, a GPO braided cord will have suffice, as the Dictograph cords are unlike anything I've seen before, being a 2 wire twined cables with a cotton sheath over laid, the 2 pairs of twined cable have a respective red and white chevron or dot according to each wire embraided on them about 5mm apart on the braid, neat eh?

Now to dig a buzzer and a fat 300 line cord out folks...

gpo706

Mr Handsome has been rewired, this involved taking out the original line 20 odd wire cord, and taking a 300 series repro cord and using the red and white wires over one of the flipper switches.

I tried the left hand one, and it had a bad contact, so swapped to the middle one and then swapped the black toggle for a red one, so I know which to press to answer.

Next the 33A buzzer, if you connect this in the wrong polarity you get a continuous buzz.

So swapped the "extra" leads to it and still continuous buzz.

Compared it with another working set (the dial one) and it had a couple of extra bits on the circuit board, so not a standard buzzer.

Dig in the spares box and find another buzzer identical, wires it up and finally success.

Now the handset cord, as I said are shot, and it is cutting out when you shoogle it, but a repro GPO braided cord will have to be subtituted, apart from that needs a clean otherwise well satisfied with it.

Owain

There's a glut of Dictographs on ebay at the moment.

Link Link Link

2 "Mint in original cases", and a clutch all removed working from one site.

gpo706

Owain, thanks very much, you will bankrupt me.

I have no idea why a Dicto would have a case , is it maybe  salesmans demonstration set?

Owain

I wouldn't want to carry one flogging Dictos door to door - they look heavy.

PS If you do go bankrupt let us know when the asset sale is and we'll come round and make sure your treasures go to good homes.

gpo706

I will bequest my Dicto's to you in my will Owain... :D

Owain

Another Dictograph sales sample

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160884384687

Owain

A nice "double-D" dictograph on Ebay.uk including a photo of the internal parts

EBAY UK

The seller has opened the auction at £85 which may be rather optimistic.

EDIT - auction closed at £85 with 1 bid!

Owain

Another couple of nice Dictographs on Ebay