"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Napoli verde

Started by gpo706, August 07, 2011, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

No bids from me, but looks quite nice.

"I bought this phone at a street market in Naples for use in a photoshoot- it's fab! Vibrant colour and a classic design.

Similar items sell for at least £50 in vintage stores.

I am selling it as part of a ruthless clearout due to downsizing.

The plug socket is three pronged, in a triangular formation so will is not compatible with English phone systems, but this could be replaced. This is reflected in the low start price for this item."

Went for £16, 10 bids.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

dsk

I'm not sure about those plugs, but it seems identical to Finnish and Norwegian plugs.
dsk

gpo706

Interesting, so it's not Italian?

Actually the handset looks pure GPO 700 series, even the cable exit!!!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Willytx

Maybe it's a pan-European phone.

The fingerwheel looks like Telefonbau und Normalzeit (Germany). The hex nut at the center is a dead giveaway.

GG

What that is:  Standard Italian desk set from the 1960s.  A "real one" not some kind of fake or repro or whatever. 

The original green color was more like Western Electric green, so that one is probably a 1970s "update" with a brighter green.

The lettering on the inside of the dial, in a blurry rectangle between digits 1 and 0, probably says FATME, which is Ericsson Italy. 

The dial is probably licensed from FACE Standard (ITT Italy), and uses a mechanism very similar to Western Electric's last series of dials (the ones that came after the 1970s #9 dials).   The handset is rather different to the GPO-UK type despite the similarity at the cord exit hole.   Straight handset cords were standard in Italy until recently, probably due to user preference since coiled cords were also available but not often used.  Italian telephone plugs of that era had three large pins to match the large holes in the wall jacks that were arranged in a triangle.   The ringing sound of those is somewhere between a WE 302 and an AE 80: loud and jangly, with a little volume control under the phone that can turn it down to a quiet buzz. 

Those are nice phones, I have a few (red, green, 2-tone gray).  The 1960s versions by AUSO (Siemens Italy) had dials that were basically German, before the FACE Standard dials came into use.  The telephone number labels were always up there near the handset cradle, rather than on the dials or on the front of the phones. 

(In case anyone's wondering where I've been lately: installing about 100 phones a month, in a PBX network totaling about 400 - 500 stations connected across multiple locations with IP trunking.  We're moving another 70 phones tomorrow.)