News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 2nd GTE/AE phone - An AE80 (I think)...

Started by twocvbloke, August 25, 2013, 08:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

It's been almost three months since I bought a whole phone (that really does sound like something said at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting!!), and I spotted this on ebay for not a lot, and the best bit, it had a Best offer thing, and I got it for £12... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251326174937 ( dead link 02-16-21 )

Something new to play with there, looking about on the forum at other AE80s, the insides are definitely different to what I've seen so far, but, I like learning about them... :D

Anyway, pics... ;D

AE_Collector

Looks AE 80 all the way from what I can see. You don't have it yet?

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on August 26, 2013, 12:31:40 AMYou don't have it yet?

Only bought it a few hours ago, I bought it on impulse, and jumped to warp drive with posting that I bought it... :D

twocvbloke

Uh-oh, it's coming by MyHermes, it'll be lucky to arrive intact, or even in a van (the last Hermes delivery I had (SV150 mower engine) came in the back of someone's Rover estate!!!), fingers crossed....... :o

twocvbloke

Well, it survived it's flight with hermes, and all I can say is the ringer sounds cute, it reminds me of kids toys with bells in them that ring when you turn something.... :D

Haven't gotten any pics yet, got to go finish painting my shed, but suffice to say, it's in reasonable condition, the stamp on the bottom is worn off in parts (I can make out "NC81210?CVA10727", and there's a partly-missing "Property of B.C. Tel" sticker too...

Anyway, must get on with shed painting... :D

LarryInMichigan

The B.C. tel. sticker would suggest that it is a Canadian version. 

Larry

twocvbloke

I'd guessed that it was canadian, though it has "Operator" on the dial so, I guess it could be a bit of a mutt, assuming that BC didn't bother with the dropping of Operator cos they thought that Operator (English) and Operator (French, yep, I found that it is a correct French spelling!!) looked alike... :D

Just have to give it a clean up, which I'll do once I have stripped a lilac-blue BT Relate 200 down (bought that to free my grey BT Viscount from being in the kitchen!!), the dial needs a little lube though as it sounds like next door's Vauxhall Zafira diesel trying to start (bad battery), but the transmission & reception sounds good via my 286A linesman phone, so I think it's just cosmetics... :)

Could do with a new fingerwheel though, it's a bit cracked up...

LarryInMichigan

Those finger wheels are quite plentiful over here, but they require a sticker on the top.  Our resident Canadian AE expert may have some stickers to spare.  I might have a decent finger wheel like that.

Larry

twocvbloke

I'm not too bothered about the stickers, but a fingerwheel could be handy... :)

Well, I discovered that the line cable needs replacing, I was tracing where it went on the network and the red wire just seemed to disintegrate on me, the wire itself is intact, but the insulation is no longer insulating, odd that it's only the red wire, the green & yellow (no black, strangely) are perfectly intact, good job I didn't crimp on a new RJ11 (clip is snapped off), would have been a wasted effort... :D

twocvbloke

Seems whatever plastic they used for the red line wire was rather unstable, cos I cut the wire back about 3 inches (incase it was a contaminant), and it still disintegrated, a further 3 inches and same result, so, yeah, that line cable is not salvageable (well, I could use the green &yellow wires, but that might confuse someone!!)... :-\

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 29, 2013, 07:31:47 AM
"Property of B.C. Tel" sticker too...

Okay, I'll PM you my address so that you can send it back and I'll turn it in for you. OR, send me $50 and I'll turn in one of my black AE 80's in your name to keep them off your back.

Quote from: twocvbloke link=topic=10054.msg1070quote author=twocvbloke link=topic=10054.msg107028#msg107028 date=1377775907]
NC81210?CVA10727

Probably CSA not CVA. C = Metro Dial (numbers and Letters). SA Straighline Adjustable ringer.

10727 = 10 Month 72 Year 7? (who knows)

From your original pictures the shell looked painted to me. Our shops painted A LOT of phones!

Is the FW okay or does it have cracks? I can send you a replacement along with a "Dial Tag" as we called them. Hopefully postage from vancouver to you wouldn't be too rediculous. I wonder how much more to include a black 3 wire spade tip cord to replace your desintigrating modular "silver-satin" cord.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on August 29, 2013, 11:17:21 PMOkay, I'll PM you my address so that you can send it back and I'll turn it in for you. OR, send me $50 and I'll turn in one of my black AE 80's in your name to keep them off your back.

I'm sure they won't miss it much... :D

QuoteProbably CSA not CVA. C = Metro Dial (numbers and Letters). SA Straighline Adjustable ringer.

10727 = 10 Month 72 Year 7? (who knows)

From your original pictures the shell looked painted to me. Our shops painted A LOT of phones!

Is the FW okay or does it have cracks? I can send you a replacement along with a "Dial Tag" as we called them. Hopefully postage from vancouver to you wouldn't be too rediculous. I wonder how much more to include a black 3 wire spade tip cord to replace your desintigrating modular "silver-satin" cord.

Terry

The code on the base is definitely CVA, hard to mistake a V for an S (snapped a picture of it below), looking at the picture though, the ? digit looks like a letter O or Q now, I have no clue what it means myself but I'm sure some will know... :D

The whole phone shell & handset, with the exception of the handset caps, is indeed painted, it has that mottled effect that spray painted things tend to have, with a couple of minor "overdid the paint" dribbles in places, could do with a polishing up though, but I've still yet to wash the plastics up... :D

The fingerwheel is definitely cracked, in the pictures above you can see a large one aimed at the 5, one aimed opposite to the 6, and a smaller one aimed at the 8, though you can see it better on my pic below...

And the line cable replacement, I have a couple of silver line cables here, but, I think as it's a black phone, I might aswell fit a black line cable, the silver ones look mis-matched, I know they're meant to be like that, but, they just look odd... :D

twocvbloke

And here's a few guts pictures, not sure if the 57 on the back of the dial is meant to be a date or something... ???

I am intrigued that they attached the ringer capacitor onto the ringer frame itself, rather than rely on one in the network, I guess that is to make it easier to replace if they need to repair it or swap for a frequency ringer if need be... :D

twocvbloke

And the bits from inside the transmitter, and the hookswitch plungers, which also have spray paint on them... :D

twocvbloke

And a pic of the now washed phone, and the BT phone I need to clean up too... :D