News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look what I've just bought (A Kellogg 1000).

Started by Stephen Furley, August 03, 2009, 09:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I wouldn't worry too much about the cord color.  I've seen plenty of Kelloggs with brown cords. 
= DARRIN =

Stephen Furley

Good, I think it will look better with brown.  I've ordered the type with plastic insulation on the wires inside, as this is closer to the dreaded rubber which it originally had.  This is a very interesting 'phone, very modern for it's day, but the idea didn't seem to go anywhere.

There are two things about it which I don't like however; firstly that rubber insulation, and secondly, some of the Bakelite is very thin in section, particularly around the base of the body, and is rather fragile.

Stephen Furley

Compare the Kellogg 1000 with the LNER class A4 locomotive:

http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a4.shtml

I knew it reminded me of something, but I couldn't think what.

HobieSport

Wow, that LNER 64 is a beautiful locomitive!

The two phones that remind me of locomotives are the Kellogg 1000 and the Dutch Heemaf 55. Heemaf did also build diesel electric locomotives.
-Matt

Stephen Furley

No more work done on the Kellogg, and the new cords, and various other things that I ordered from Oldphoneworks haven't arrived yet;  that means that Customs have decided to charge me tax on them.  With low-value items it seems to be rather random whether they do or not, but when they do it adds an extra couple of weeks or so before I get them.  The previous order from Oldphoneworks, which was of similar value, and the Kellogg itself both slipped through without me having to pay tax, and the Kellogg arrived six days after I sent the payment for it.

I've seen something interesting on the Oldphoneworks site:

They sell an orange painted Kellogg 1000, and this is in the description of it:

QuoteAlthough Kellogg did not make an orange version of this phone, I think you will agree, what a missed opportunity. We have added a reproduction "clearbar" to this beauty in the style of Kellogg's original colored "clearbar" series

I'm not sure about the missed opportunity, I just don't think the colour looks right on that style of 'phone, but what do they mean by 'Kellogg's original colored "clearbar" series'?  Did Kellogg make coloured versions of this model, if so, what colours?  Did these always have clearbars?

Stephen Furley

A bit more news on the Kellogg; I'm still waiting for the Oldphoneworks order, it ought to be here by now, but British Customs sometimes hold things up for weeks.  The Kellogg itself got here in six days.

Work is still very busy; well over 14 hours again today, but I have found time to do a bit more work on the 'phone.

The new wiring harness for the dial is made up, using modern plastic coated stranded copper wire, and soldered to the plug, but I'm waiting for some spades which were posted today; they should be here tomorrow.  There's no way to recover the old outer cotton covering from the old harness; the whole thing is one solid lump, but I'm thinking about cutting up the old handset cord; I think I could thread the new twisted wires through a section of that, it would look reasonably close to the original.  I don't really like to lose an original part, this is an original Kellogg cord, but it's totally rotten inside, and no use as it is.

This evening I've made up some coloured epoxy resin, and made the first application to fill the cracks and many small chips.  Some of the deeper ones cannot be filled n one go, and I think it will take three applications altogether. The Kellogg is not quite black, so I've had to mix the resin to match the colour.  I can't be absolutely sure until I see it fully cured, rubbed down and polished, but I think I've managed to match the colour perfectly.  I've made up enough coloured resin to do the whole job, I just need to add the hardener, which is near enough colourless, when I'm ready to use it, so it should all be the same colour.  I use laser printer toner to colour it, which I find works really well, and of course since it comes in yellow, magenta, cyan and black, any colour can be mixed.

I'm hoping to do the first rubbing-down later this week.

bingster

Quote from: Stephen Furley on September 01, 2009, 06:11:55 PM...I'm thinking about cutting up the old handset cord; I think I could thread the new twisted wires through a section of that, it would look reasonably close to the original.  I don't really like to lose an original part, this is an original Kellogg cord, but it's totally rotten inside, and no use as it is.

I'm a big fan of original parts, but when it comes to cords that have become unfit, I do sacrifice them to harvest their spades and metal restraints.  With bad cloth cords which have some of their outer braided cover missing, I strip the remainder of the cover to get at the cloth-covered conductors inside.  The conductors come in very handy at times.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Yes, Kellogg produced a clearbar version also. Stephen, I have a parts set that is a hotel version of this phone. The body is good, but has a hole for the buzzer button. If I can offer anything off of it, you can have the parts for shipping. BTW, it uses a different version of dial. It is switched in reverse, in relation to it's consumer "redbar" brothers.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Stephen Furley

Quote from: BDM on September 02, 2009, 12:25:57 PM
Yes, Kellogg produced a clearbar version also. Stephen, I have a parts set that is a hotel version of this phone. The body is good, but has a hole for the buzzer button. If I can offer anything off of it, you can have the parts for shipping. BTW, it uses a different version of dial. It is switched in reverse, in relation to it's consumer "redbar" brothers.

Is this the 'Select-o-Phone'?  I read about them somewhere; that dial sounds really odd.  One turned up on Ebay recently, but unless you had the whole system it wouldn't be much use.  Is your one brown or black?

Thank you, but I think I'm ok for parts, unless I make any nasty discoveries when I connect it up.  The steel base has been straightened, the body is back in one piece, and almost at the stage where all it needs is a lot of polishing to get the shine back.  Capacitor has been repaired and tested.  Hook switch now seems to be working ok.  The cords have arrived; I got a card in the post today for me to collect them from the sorting Office.  The same package should also contain a further supply of four-prong plugs.  The spades also arrived today.  Ringer wires have been replaced, dial harness is almost complete, just needs the spades putting on tomorrow.  Metal finger wheel has been polished.  It should be testable within the next few days, but the polishing will probably take a few more weeks.  It's still been a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

There's also another parcel waiting for me, which is probably the Galion.

BDM

No, I don't believe it's called a "select-o-phone. It is a strange piece. Why they were produced in this fashion, I'll never know? Maybe they wanted to keep the "in house" systems all Kellogg. Since anything else would need serious modification to work.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI