News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Neutered Design Line Phone

Started by compubit, February 13, 2015, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I will clean it up and leave it as is - I was struggling with figuring out "how to get things to fit...".  I will probably replace the coiled cord, as it is filthy (depends on how it cleans up), and has a broken clip (though I do have the clip...).   It's a tall accent, but with a coiled cord (vs. a retractable).  The Touch Tone pad has the full "OPERATOR" above the 0 and is a Princess-style - I guess they may have been thinking of lighting at one point?

The brightness of the yellow is what attacts me to it (just like a moth to a campfire!).

Now to find the green and blue versions...  (Not that I need to be buying anything in the near future...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

twocvbloke

Quote from: compubit on February 13, 2015, 07:45:16 PM(Not that I need to be buying anything in the near future...)

We all tell ourselves that, but we never listen... ;D

compubit

eBay makes it way to easy to get sucked in...

I promise, no more auctions this month. 

Oooh - wait, is that a 1702B in Gray currently at $9.99? I'll just make one small bid on it and that's it...  I promise!

Ahhh - a Mediterranean Blue 500 with original cords - why not...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

twocvbloke

Yep, I got sucked in to buy a generator that was missing parts, still need to work on it to get it to keep running and find out if the electrical side even works.... ;D

jsowers

You may have trouble finding a matching cord. I don't think this is regular WE yellow. It could be easier to just re-crimp an end onto the original one. Handset plugs are slightly smaller and not too easy to find. The cord can be wound around a dowel and put in the sun on a car dashboard in the summer and re-formed if the coils are uneven. Denatured alcohol will clean all the gook off the cord too. I would clean it first and then re-form it later.

Also I wonder if the "D" on the bottom is for display model or demonstrator? Paul's site doesn't mention that in the translation of the model numbers on the Accent. I don't think they ever lit the touchpad in these phones, but it would have looked really nice if they did.
Jonathan

paul-f

Color code -93.  (On set bottom.)

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html#Accent
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

compubit

The cord is coiled perfectly - just dirty.

I did find a Lemon Yellow coiled cord from an on-line vendor (the had several versions of yellow, and specifically called out the WE design-line phones in reference.  I'll see how it looks after a little cleaning.

Anyone had any luck super-gluing the clip back onto the plug? Since it'll be a display piece, it won't get "used" - especially if I put the screws back into the handset through the base...

I'm still excited about the number strip with the 311-555-2368 number in it, though!

Jim

twocvbloke

Quote from: compubit on February 13, 2015, 10:48:05 PMAnyone had any luck super-gluing the clip back onto the plug?

Nope, they just break off again as superglue is too brittle for that kind of application...

Easier just fitting a new RJ10 plug on there, whether or not it's used, it'll look better... :)

skyrider

My limited time working in the Bell Phone Centers during the mid 70's, we were told to make all display phones nonworking. Design line phones were watched over very closely.
Bill Compton

Kenton K

If you have a rj14 jack crimped, you can easily repair it by replacing the plasic jack.

AT2796

Hello everybody!
Does anyone know what hookswitch they used for this phone?
A friend got ahold of one like described in this thread (gutless and cut clean) but one contact is broken.
It does look like a princess donor would be close, just not sure about the hookswitch.

Thanks!
Andy

Key2871

I've seen in early station manuals that the guts were to be removed if the set was removed from service. The customer owned the housing, but not the guts

I don't think this is the case here, but it's possible.
KEN