News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hidden opportunity (Bargain?) on EBAY

Started by Just4Phones, August 01, 2010, 09:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just4Phones

If someone is looking for a mushroom 500, I don't remember if its a 500P or a 500U here is one hiding out in a group of phones.  It is missing the cover but still a good buy at that price.  Good luck  ;D

http://tinyurl.com/35yj4aw

Joel

HarrySmith

Yes, good deal, I saw that group a few days ago but I just got a Pink one so I passed. Trying to find a replacement cap will not be easy. There is a member on the ATCA list that has or had caps in Black & White that can be painted if anyone really wants it :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Someone sniped the lot at the last second for opening price of $49.00. Anyone on this forum?

Terry

Jester

Terry,
That would be me.  I don't have a great representative 500 in pink yet, & I do have a repro hood in white that I can paint.  I also know Dan Vogt can make an awesome hood, molded in the right color, if I ask him nicely!
Stephen

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jester on August 01, 2010, 10:16:04 PM
Terry,
That would be me.  I don't have a great representative 500 in pink yet, & I do have a repro hood in white that I can paint.  I also know Dan Vogt can make an awesome hood, molded in the right color, if I ask him nicely!

Glad to see you got it! I was torn over bidding as I wouldn't mind having an example of the 500 P/U but in the end I reminded myself that I only collect AE sets now! Had no one bid I would have emailed the seller to try to make a deal on just that one phone but I'm glad I won't have to do that now.

Terry

jsowers

Jester, I hope all the phones arrive in one piece. With a payload like that, you could have some problems if they don't wrap all the phones well. I speak from experience, mine and others'. I hope you sent packing instructions, or better yet, asked if they could just send the one phone for the auction amount.

Please post some "before" pictures after it arrives, so we can see it close up. A collecting buddy of mine found this auction after it was first listed. He emailed the seller and it's a 9-58, so I'm hoping you have soft plastic, but the dial looks lighter than the rest of the phone. He also emailed the seller later about taking only the one phone and never heard back, so he didn't bid. Lucky you!

On painting the white mushroom cap, try for spray paint if you can find the right shade of pink. A paintbrush leaves brush strokes. You should also sand the cap lightly all over before painting and apply spray primer or something opaque because the light tends to shine through the paint if you don't. The part directly above the lamp on the inside was painted white to reflect the light down onto the dial. That part you can probably do with a brush.

Good luck refurbishing this one. Keep us posted.
Jonathan

Dan

Quote from: Jester on August 01, 2010, 10:16:04 PM
Terry,
That would be me.  I don't have a great representative 500 in pink yet, & I do have a repro hood in white that I can paint.  I also know Dan Vogt can make an awesome hood, molded in the right color, if I ask him nicely!

Let me know if you need the hood.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright