News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nothing special, just another green 746

Started by gpo706, January 22, 2011, 05:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

MKII set, very slight suntan, only visible "bikini, - sorry handset" line is where the cradle is.

No cracks, chips, pretty solid, base has "DFM 70/1" - Denis Ferranti Meters Ltd., 1970.

RX/TX dated 1966 though.

Dial slow and never seen before thinner numerals than usual on fingerplate.

Original line cord, which actually is better than it looks in the pics, handset cord matted and dirty but nice coil and one kink.

Some previous owner cracked the "opal" (dial centre cover) trying to get it off, but I have plenty spares.

Like I say, nothing special but another project to keep me occupied during the dark winter nights.

14 pounds 90 pence all in, new line cord was a fiver, need a green soapdish to connect the two.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110634115205&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
( dead link 12-06-21 )

Something is rattling in it, but haven't opened it yet... (maybe too scared, eh?)
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

Nice one. The green is a striking color for that set.
= DARRIN =

gpo706

Yeah Bingster, I like the green combo, its very pleasing.

So I have an identical 746 which I dressed as a faux 706 with alphanumeric dial surround, chevron backplate and green fingerwheel, and this is the bog standard 746.

Last night got the trusty screwdrivers out and set to.

Case off, cleaned, handset caps off, cleaned in and out (some horrible looking stuff you get in earpiece caps eh?).

Converted and rewired using original 4 spade to 4 spade line to soapdish then PST line out.

Dial replaced with a spare, new unbroken opal and a spare number card. looks the business.

Put it all back together and test on PBX, loud, loud ring, and dials to other extentions, excellent job done...

Dial "9" for outside line - nothing...

Was it the dial? Was it my rewire? Was it unstrapped green and white in the soapdish?

Naturally you check and double check, unplug it, replug it, then you try another phone on the PBX, - no outside line.

Anyhow the Pana had taken a hissy fit and wasn't let me dial out, an exercise in electricity deprivation for 5 minutes soon had it back on best behaviour.

AE_Collector

Love those GPO Two tone sets. Need to figure out how to turn the two Ivory ones I have in to a Two tone Green and a two tone brown/gray.

What is the difference between 746 and 706 sets. Were 706 available in two tones as well?

Terry

gpo706