"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 15-G on Automatic electric monophone

Started by ffontana, February 06, 2016, 01:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffontana

Hello All,

I have an Automatic Electric Monophone  (1A ???).  The phone has a Kellogg 15-G dial mechanism.  The phone rings when called and both parties hear fine.  The only issue is the dial does not dial the correct number. 
I am extremely new to this.....

I have an older payphone that dials fine so I do not think it my service (not sure).

Is there a common checkout procedure for the rotary dial?  Is the rotary dial the likely culprit?

I have the schematic on the bottom of the phone The phone is wired shown in the schematic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Jack Ryan

Hello Frank, welcome to the forum.

You wrote that the phone rings so I'll assume that you have the proper subset correctly wired to the Monophone.

Is your phone service from a traditional provider or a VoIP provider? The reason I ask is that a traditional exchange is much more accepting of variations in dial speed.

Is the payphone a rotary dial or a button version. If it has a rotary dial that works in your line, with the phones disconnected from the line, dial zero on both simultaneously. Do they both stop at the same time? If the Monophone dial is noticeably slower, it may need attention.

Regards
Jack

ffontana

Jack,

Thank you for the info.  I will double check with my carrier tomorrow.  My concern was the dial mechanism.  When the phone did not dial correctly, I noticed that the 'shunt' contacts on the right side of the dial (looking from under) did not fully dis engage when the dial came to rest.  There are 3 contacts that look like they are supposed to 'make' as the dial is turned and separate when the dial is at rest.  Not sure exactly how this is supposed to function.
Thank you for the help!!!

Jack Ryan

The shunt contacts or "off normal" contacts do as you said - they contact each other when the dial is turned and separate when the dial comes to rest. If they did not fully disengage when the dial was at rest the receiver or the transmitter or both would not operate. As you can answer the phone and converse with the caller, these contacts must be operating properly. (If they did not close when the dial was operated you would hear loud clicks as the dial pulsed).

It may be that the dial is just slow.

Regards
Jack

ffontana

OK.  Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.