News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory Soft Plastic 500

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 02, 2013, 10:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

During a bout of phone buying withdrawal, I bought a discolored ivory 500 at the local flea market this Sunday.  The seller, who is rude and never bargains, refused to take less than $40, so I broke down and paid it, mostly because of the straight handset cord.  The phone was in a 1950s vintage WE box which is in very good condition.  I have no idea if the box itself is worth anything.  Despite being in a WE box, the phone is quite obviously not NOS.  The surfaces have scratches, and the suede feet are worn completely smooth.  The plastic and handset cord are quite badly discolored.  The handset cord looks to be in great condition, except for the serious discoloration.  I expect to try the chlorine bleach method described recently on the forum when I have a chance. 

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Looks like a good deal. I have been able to find early sets, a 500 p/u, but never a set with a straight line cord.

I cannot wait to see the after pictures.

Ben

poplar1

That's a difficult cord to find. Congratulations.

Box is marked "500DR-3" = a black 500 with spring cord:

"Telephone Company Property"= C Stock= previously purchased by Bell operating company and subsequently remanufactured by Western Electric shop for reinstallation by Bell.

Sometimes, the installer/repairman would use the box for the phone he just installed (black) to carry out the removed phone (yellow). On the other hand, the yellow phone and this box could have been "married" by anyone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 02, 2013, 10:15:29 PM
... The phone was in a 1950s vintage WE box which is in very good condition. ...

I still stand by my statement months ago: all the best soft plastic phones are in Michigan.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Hey Larry....I  bet some fine steel wool on that handset cord with some Brasso or Norvus 2 will bring back the natural color. Really nice phone....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 03, 2013, 06:44:24 PM
Hey Larry....I  bet some fine steel wool on that handset cord with some Brasso or Norvus 2 will bring back the natural color. Really nice phone....Doug

Steel wool on soft plastic probably not a good idea.  Bakelite maybe...  I know someone on this forum used hot sunlight and equal parts bleach and water.   I believe they also used peroxide to revive the cords?

LarryInMichigan

It looks like the discoloration extends below the surface, so it is not likely to go away by rubbing with steel wool or any sort of polish.  Bleaching will almost certainly be necessary, and I may not have a chance to do that until next summer.

Does anyone have any idea of what the empty box might be worth or who might want it?  It looks quite nice, but I don't care to keep it.  I sure don't want to drop it into the recycling bin though.  If I could get something for it to offset the cost of the phone, that would be very nice.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE40FAN on October 03, 2013, 07:01:34 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on October 03, 2013, 06:44:24 PM
Hey Larry... ]I  bet some fine steel wool on that handset cord with some Brasso or Norvus 2 will bring back the natural color. Really nice phone....Doug

Steel wool on soft plastic probably not a good idea.  Bakelite maybe...  I know someone on this forum used hot sunlight and equal parts bleach and water.   I believe they also used peroxide to revive the cords?
Fine Steel wool on the Handset cord...not the softplastic. It has worked for me in the past
Kidphone

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 02, 2013, 10:15:29 PM
During a bout of phone buying withdrawal, I bought a discolored ivory 500 at the local flea market this Sunday.  The seller, who is rude and never bargains, refused to take less than $40, so I broke down and paid it, mostly because of the straight handset cord.  The phone was in a 1950s vintage WE box which is in very good condition.  I have no idea if the box itself is worth anything.  Despite being in a WE box, the phone is quite obviously not NOS.  The surfaces have scratches, and the suede feet are worn completely smooth.  The plastic and handset cord are quite badly discolored.  The handset cord looks to be in great condition, except for the serious discoloration.  I expect to try the chlorine bleach method described recently on the forum when I have a chance. 

Larry

$40 ?, this is not a deal but It is worth its price . and you have the box with the phone !..What do you want more lollll. ;)

AE40FAN

Sorry Doug, I should read more thoroughly instead of my usual lazy skimming...

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE40FAN on October 03, 2013, 09:39:57 PM
Sorry Doug, I should read more thoroughly instead of my usual lazy skimming...
no worries my friend....Doug
Kidphone

jsowers

Quote from: AE40FAN on October 03, 2013, 07:01:34 PM
I believe they also used peroxide to revive the cords?

The peroxide solution is the easiest solution and the least destructive. Bleach on the housing and handset (with Vaseline covering the date stamps) and a peroxide solution on the cords and you will have a beautiful phone well worth what you paid and more.

See this thread for more information. Page 2 has the peroxide instructions.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10094.0
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

I just set the discolored plastic parts outside in the sunlight in a translucent plastic container with warm water and chlorine bleach.  We shall see what happens.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 09, 2013, 12:46:51 PM
I just set the discolored plastic parts outside in the sunlight in a translucent plastic container with warm water and chlorine bleach.  We shall see what happens.

Larry
I am sure it will clean up nicely, this one isn't nearly as discolored as mine was recently and perhaps the Michigan sun is working harder in October than the NJ sun was on Labor Day weekend.

LarryInMichigan

After a few hours of soaking in bleach outside, it looks noticeably better, but there are still some dark splotches.  I left the cord in the sunlight with peroxide, but it still looks awful.  I will have to give it more treatments.

Larry