"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory Soft Plastic 500

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 02, 2013, 10:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 09, 2013, 05:48:27 PM
After a few hours of soaking in bleach outside, it looks noticeably better, but there are still some dark splotches.  I left the cord in the sunlight with peroxide, but it still looks awful.  I will have to give it more treatments.

Larry
The only aspect that is not in your favor in October is that the temperature outside must be getting rather low. I think today was in the 60s and that is almost 20 degrees lower than when I did it.  That is more than 10 degrees centigrade lower, and therefore it might take twice as long to get the same result.

HarrySmith

What are you using for peroxide? Drugstore peroxide will not do the trick, it is only 3%. The Retrobright folks recommend 12%. Some here have worked with 20%, I used 40% on my last experiment. This will definetly affect the results! The Ivory, Beige & White plastics seem to get the most improvement.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

The soaking was done in chlorine bleach (about 30%) and warm water.  The cord was coated with 40 "volume" hair peroxide.  I have used the peroxide on many other things including some cords, but this cord is really discolored.

Larry