News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just acquired Painted 302 Question from a newbie

Started by Gilas, May 04, 2012, 04:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

Thanks for the comments.  I hope to someday be able to restore these works of art to looks like some of the ones that I see here.  Paul I have found my newest patients including a 5304, 5302 and another 302.  Glad my wife is understanding lol.

david@london

lowrey-

the difference between the photos you posted on 3rd may and the 'finished' photo on 27th may is just amazing. well done !  the finished result, to me, looks like  N.O.S.!

as the body of this 302 is metal.........some details of your methods of stripping & repainting would be appreciated.

david

Gilas

Thanks David.  I actually looked through all the posts here and just started piecemealing everyone's advice.  The layers of paint that someone had decided to redecorate it with came off with Easy Off.  Sprayed it on and waited for about 10 minutes and removed the first layer, then repeat with the second color of paint that it had seen.  I used 000 Steel wool to finish the process and smooth it all out and then the paint suggestion I went with was a Satin Black Paint and Primer from ACE Hardware.  After the spray I baked the housing at 200 for about 2 hours to harden it.  I was really pleased with how it turned out, especially for my first time.

Dan/Panther

Mike;
You did a superb job on that set, nicer then my first one.
This is what is so great about collecting vintage phones, The cost can be in any range you want, the skills needed can be developed by almost anyone, the results are very rewarding, and you end up with a real useful item, that didn't break the bank. It can even be resold for several times the original cost, At least that's what I've been told, I just never seem to want to sell any.
Well almost never. If I have 100 of one type, I might sell one. MIGHT !!!
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Gilas

Thanks Dan!  I did have a blast working with it and it sits proudly in my office as my daily phone.  I think that my biggest thrill was watching my kids try and figure out how this "dial thing" works lol. 

Dan/Panther

In a push button age. A dial is really a challenge. I've had kids push their finger in the center of the finger hole. thankfully being from a pre modern era, I can still look at something and figure out how to use it. the newer generation seems to have lost that.
For the mere fact they see no value in anything before today. SAD.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson