News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Went to the service department at the local Ford megadealer and as I entered thought that I'd forgotten to put on my mask.  There wasn't a mask to be seen in there.  I guess if you can afford dealership prices, you are just naturally immune from the covid.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

In our service dept you are required to wear a mask to enter the building. Dealership prices are not any higher than aftermarket shops. Not anymore. At one time they were exorbitant but we have to keep our prices competitive or we would be out of business. We shop pricing to keep par. A lot of times we are cheaper. Jiffy Lube oil change for example is much higher price than ours.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

Here in Germany the situation seemed to be pretty well under control until the re-openings 2 weeks ago. Now the numbers rise again.
While upper and middle class people had been chiefly affected the first time, the new cases are often reported from places where people live or work close together under less than ideal circumstances. A major outbreak happened in a meat processing facility. This was foreseeable after earlier, smaller incidents. Yet it did happen.
@dsk, interesting that you report an efficient digital learning at school. It seems really to depend on how the schools are organized. I can see it was an exhausting time for the teachers who did a good job...
My 2 sons attend different schools and the experiences were pretty different, too. It's hard to keep the kids motivated anyway.

19and41

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 25, 2020, 09:58:48 AM
In our service dept you are required to wear a mask to enter the building. Dealership prices are not ant higher than aftermarket shops. Not anymore. At one time they were exorbitant but we have to keep our prices competitive or we would be out of business. We shop pricing to keep par. A lot of times we are cheaper. Jiffy lube oil change for example is much higher price than ours.

I will see. It was to set up an appointment for a diagnosis/estimate on my new car.  The last time I priced them, they took my breath away.  :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Agreed, it's too eirly to drop the mask as it were. It's only asking for trouble.
I hate wearing a mask, but if it protects me and others then so be it.
But I'm amazed at those who won't wear one and stand in your face and talk like everything is fine. But that's the way it is, there's always someone who won't listen.
KEN

twocvbloke

Things are being eased here in the UK, but I'm foreseeing a rise in cases, as people are just too ignorant of what is going on (especially those in power!!!), but some freedoms are being welcomed by some, being stuck indoors for three months with not a lot to do has driven a few people potty I'm sure, heck, even I'm going a touch nuts...  ;D

compubit

I flew from Washington, DC to Dallas, TX this last weekend to help my parents (81 & 79).

In DC folks are generally wearing masks, but in Dallas (northern suburbs), it was a case of maybe 1/3 of folks wearing a mask, unless the store required one (several stores did - grocery and athletic shoe store was where I went that required them). After arrival, my mom "scanned" me with a UV light (not sure if it did anything, but it made her happy...). We then went out to lunch, and my jaw dropped - no one wearing masks (not even servers or kitchen staff), no social distancing (a group of construction workers entered the restaurant before we did and kept trying to get us to join them in the lobby - we waited until they were seated). Needless to say, we didn't eat out again over the 5 day weekend... And then folks wonder why Dallas has a large spike in cases (and the governor put a brake on further opening up...)...

Compared to Dallas, the folks in DC are saints with respect to COVID-19...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

19and41

Seeing in the news that a low grade fever is a warning sign of the virus' onset.  I wanted to get a thermometer.  it looked like the locusts picked all of them clean.  I looked on Ebay and could find a few digital thermometers, but I wanted one that I could rely on no mattr what.  In the new metal expansion thermometers, I could only find Chinese manufactured thermometers that more resembled a miniature candy thermometer and they were only calibrated in celsius.  If death rests it's hand on my shoulder I want a familiar measurement.   That left me looking for a vintage to antique thermometer.  I found a Becton and Dickinson red flash fever thermometer whose diploma says it was made in 1949.  It seems to work well.  One thing was common between all of them was I read a degree low.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Except for wearing masks on all my indoor errand running and work, Not much has changed for me in my day to day life.  I've had to work a regular schedule except for a 2 week absence for testing.  Fiscally, I can't complain too much, I recon I'm doing better than the folks who have to stay home and hope for sustenance.  A week ago, I went to Costco, and was met with a pair of 4 pallet size, 5 foot tall mass of hand sanitizer and house brand disinfecting wipes.  Further inside another big mass of liquid hand soap.  I got some of the wipes as they were in square containers that won't roll around all over the car and get popped open like the cylinders.  The parking lot at the bus/rail station at my location still has no more than 10 vehicles in the commuter lot on an average day.  I am fastidious in my washing/ sanitizing, but sometimes it seems like I'm doing it only for it's own sake.  I'll keep on doing it.  The threat of illness is a strong motivator.
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

I'm starting to see stuff on shelves on a regular basis.  Only thing I'm not seeing regularly is Lysol spray. Stopping at Target Saturday evening and Monday late afternoon had plenty of wipes on the shelves (both disinfecting - Clorox/Up and Up - and sanitizing - 75% alcohol), as well as enough hand sanitizer to sink a small boat...  Costco has been hit or miss with wipes or Lysol (Plenty of hand sanitizer, but a lot if it smells like crap, IMHO!)

Personally, I've been a "wash your hands regularly" guy, vs. a hand sanitizer guy... (But I have my stash, just in case).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

twocvbloke

With England (that is, the country that isn't Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) being back in Lockdown as of the 5th, which I predicted back in June as that "Eat out to help out" scheme the government came out with backfired on them, things have just gotten tedious here, I've been quite quiet on here cos I've just had so little to do, granted I have plenty telephone projects to play with, but the boredom that has come with being told to stay at home has made wanting to do anything somewhat difficult, which has had knock-on effects with regards to my ongoing problems with depression and anxiety, this year's been pretty crap if I'm honest... :-\

As for shops' stocks of toilet roll, cleaners & hand sanitisers, it's pretty normal now, but with shops having "sanitation stations" for wiping down trolleys and baskets & having hand sanitiser available, personally I have my own hand sanitiser spray (off-the shelf stuff slightly enhanced with a nice essential oil and a bit extra isopropyl alcohol to blend that in cleanly) which I apply before entering the shop and on leaving, kind of seems moot when you consider that the products you handle may not be sterile, but, as tesco claims, every little helps!

Masks on hand too, both re-usable and disposable, just not that looney one I previously posted with me sporting a Mk6 British army helmet, social distancing may be a requirement, but that was a bit too scary really!!!  ;D

Key2871

Last week, first time in a month, got a sandwich at the local shop, had to sign my name phone number and time I was there, first time ever, but now becoming a norm for my state, as govenor has mandated to keep track of who, when phone so if someone comes up sick, they can call me to tell me.

Went to the doctor yesterday to get a script, had to stand in front of this thing that looked like a tablet, took my temp and picture before I could get in to the hospital.
In my area everything is controlled by the hospital.
Questions like have I been out of state, not the country as has been, but food is plentiful as are people who stand in the middle of tight isles with shopping carts everyone seems to be wearing masks now, also a requirement now in food stores, but not in take out joints.
Some small convenience stores, strange but what ever.
Hang in there folks, it can only get...       
KEN

countryman

After the numbers went up worse than in spring, the German government issued a second lockdown. A "Lockdown Light" to be exact - We Germans just love English names for new things. Restaurants are open for take away only, hotels only for business guests and urgent family visits. Theaters are closed and football happens in empty arenas. Otherwise life is quite as usual, schools are open. Masks are mandatory in shops and busy places but have always been so since April, give or take.
Shops are fully re-stocked after short-term shortages of canned and dry food and the much-discussed paper products in March.
A vaccine will come, but I'm afraid we have to watch out for a while until that is through.
I ordered fine filtration masks when they were offered reasonably (80 € per 100) and encourage the kids to wear them at school. I use them in shops, too. After all what has been discussed by serious medics here, hand sanitizing is not overly helpful as breathing aerosols is the real problem.
Some folks start rioting against the official provisions, I really have no sympathy for these people.

Key2871

And will the vaccine be safe? Will there be any long term issues, or nasty side effects??
I got a flu shot one year, and felt crappy for a year after. So I'm a bit leary
KEN

19and41

I try to get the flu vaccine each year.  I got it too late about 3 years ago and had already caught it before getting the vaccine.  It nearly killed me and I'm not exaggerating.  I get it now as soon as it's available.  I still have about a quart of hand sanitizer, but don't like to use it because of the slime it leaves on my hands.  I use 70% isopropyl alcohol on a portion of paper towel to sanitize my hands, then I can use lotion on them.
— Arthur C. Clarke