News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finlover's latest, red 554

Started by McHeath, October 06, 2009, 08:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Notice the "wrap around cord technique", saving the cord from the harmful effects of gravity ;)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Quote from: finlover on October 16, 2009, 04:07:08 PM
Thanks, D/P!  if it had had original plastic I might have kept it for myself.  There's something cool about a red wall phone!  Few people know that Bruce Wayne had one in his kitchen. ;D

Finlover;
Nix on the Red Kitchen Phone..... :-X :-X :-X :-X :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

The buyer loved the phone but it's the wrong shade of red for his mom's kitchen--GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

Sometimes I regret my return policy.  Oh well, it will get re-listed soon. :-\

Dan/Panther

Quote from: finlover on October 20, 2009, 02:17:46 PM
The buyer loved the phone but it's the wrong shade of red for his mom's kitchen--GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

Sometimes I regret my return policy.  Oh well, it will get re-listed soon. :-\

Never regret that policy, I think that is a part of your success, that you have confidence to back your work unconditionally. Now what do you do if the phone comes back damaged, and the guy didn't pack it right.
Do you hold his funds until it's returned safely ?
D/P

finlover

Thanks, D/P,
I know you're right about the return policy.  Let's hope he packs it well.  He's definitely not getting his money back until it arrives safely!

gpo706

I've just had a really good second look at this and have to admit it's far too good to be anywhere near my kitchen, would probably need a strip down after a few years
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

finlover

Gpo,
If you take this 554 off my hands I'll have Granny Finlover knit you one of her patented phone cozies--they're machine washable! :D

gpo706

Nar mate, need to wash the cosy as well!

Seriously how did these "kitchen phones" survive all the odours, steam, grease etc in such nice condition?

finlover

They didn't--I restored it!  This one was a bit of a mess with a severely faded handset and a scratched up case.

gpo706

Looks like its just out the box!

Nice work.

bingster

They definitely suffered from being in the kitchen.  I remember every few months my mother had to wipe down the case of the white 2554 we had in our kitchen to keep it clean.  I also remember C&P coming out and replacing the TT pad at some point because it started dialing incorrectly.  No doubt it the contacts had become greasy.

I've got a black 354 in my kitchen, and I have to go through the same cleaning routine with it.  The only difference is that if something goes wrong, I have to fix it, as the phone company will disavow all knowledge of telephone sets.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Yeah I concur, they did suffer from being in the greasy part of the house.  I recently cleaned my mom's 2554 which has been in her kitchens since the phone company installed it in 1984.  She wipes it down every so often, but it was a real mess and I gave it a good once over.  The other thing that messes them up is using them with greasy hands from cooking.  I notice that most wall phones I encounter are more beat looking than desk units. 

AET

Finlover, are you taking on Apprentices? :D
- Tom

Dan/Panther

AET

- Tom