News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strowger Dial Equipment in Bell's Los Angeles Area - was Where's the finger stop

Started by Greg G., February 07, 2016, 11:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I've looked very closely, but can't seem to find the finger stop on this mercedes dial.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jack Ryan

The finger stop on a Mercedes dial is held on by one screw and it tends to come loose with use. For some reason they are more often missing on UK and French dials.

Actually a finger stop won't fit on that dial because it has the wrong number plate.

Is that phone what it looks like or one that is made up?

Regards
Jack

unbeldi

That is a very interesting looking number plate.
I would like to take a closer look at that.
It sure looks like one of the 100% cellulose-acetate plates by Cox et al. that were used (rarely) by (some?) Western Electric refurbishing shops in 1933 and 1934.
The outer edge of the plate appears to be warped downward, and the cutout for the finger stop is clearly visible.
Compare to my specimen:

unbeldi

Is this phone for sale anywhere?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 09, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

Good question. And aside from the number plate, is the phone a "specialprojects" restoration?

Jack

unbeldi

Here is a clearer look.   Looks like 50 or 51 with 144 receiver and a brassed-out transmitter mounted upside down.

unbeldi

AE dials were commonly used in the Bell System until perhaps the mid 1920s, and the practices of the time had maintenance instructions for them.   But were they actually mounted on WECo desk stands or only on equipment that AT&T took over from acquired companies?

Jack Ryan

Here is an example from "specialprojects". It has nickle highlights rather than brass and it has a 20B perch.

What is the dial mount normally used on?

Often these are optimistically called "Norfolk Phones". I don't know the details of the dial mount on real Norfolk Phones. Illustration attached but it lacks detail.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 09, 2016, 10:24:09 PM
AE dials were commonly used in the Bell System until perhaps the mid 1920s, and the practices of the time had maintenance instructions for them.   But were they actually mounted on WECo desk stands or only on equipment that AT&T took over from acquired companies?

Both but as I noted in my last I'm unclear of the mount used to fix an AE dial to a 50AL. WE/Bell preferred their own dials and the #1 was, I believe, used as a replacement for the Mercedes in the field. It appears that they were not happy with its performance though as the Norfolk installation used AE dials. The Dallas rationalisation (1921) used #2 dials - perhaps converted from #1 as much as possible.

Jack

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on February 09, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

I saw it on Proxibid.  It's paired with the buttset behind it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 09, 2016, 10:46:29 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on February 09, 2016, 10:24:09 PM

Both but as I noted in my last I'm unclear of the mount used to fix an AE dial to a 50AL. WE/Bell preferred their own dials and the #1 was, I believe, used as a replacement for the Mercedes in the field. It appears that they were not happy with its performance though as the Norfolk installation used AE dials. The Dallas rationalisation (1921) used #2 dials - perhaps converted from #1 as much as possible.

Jack
A dial adapter should not be very hard to conceive. The AT&T practices for the AE dials mention that an adapter was used that was attached to the base with 4-36 nickel plated round-head screws and a hex-nut, using a spring washer under the nut.

No. 2 dials should probably have been pretty well established by 1921.

Couldn't find it on Proxibid anymore.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 10, 2016, 09:24:38 AM
A dial adapter should not be very hard to conceive. The AT&T practices for the AE dials mention that an adapter was used that was attached to the base with 4-36 nickel plated round-head screws and a hex-nut, using a spring washer under the nut.

Unbeldi, I would like to identify *the* adaptor. Clearly there is an adaptor on these telephones but I don't know if it is a WE item or if it is the one used in WE's acquired auto areas or at Norfolk to mount AE dials on WE telephones.

Yes that's true but some 2AG dials have turned up with #1 parts, well, finger stops anyway.

Regards
Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 10, 2016, 08:04:01 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on February 10, 2016, 09:24:38 AM

Unbeldi, I would like to identify *the* adaptor. Clearly there is an adaptor on these telephones but I don't know if it is a WE item or if it is the one used in WE's acquired auto areas or at Norfolk to mount AE dials on WE telephones.

Yes that's true but some 2AG dials have turned up with #1 parts, well, finger stops anyway.

Regards
Jack

Well, that's all I could find right now.  I'll let you know if I find more info.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 10, 2016, 08:21:37 PM
Well, that's all I could find right now.  I'll let you know if I find more info.

Many thanks.

Jack

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on February 09, 2016, 10:11:15 PM
Here is a clearer look.   Looks like 50 or 51 with 144 receiver and a brassed-out transmitter mounted upside down.

So is this a "mutt" phone?
- Mike Row
e