News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1973 CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE AMERICAN TELECOMMUNICATIONS Ringer issues

Started by debeaune, September 15, 2014, 09:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Have a 1973 American Tel Candlestick phone but ringer won't ring.  Noticed the yellow and black lines are disconnected, not sure if that could be the problem, just thought I'd mention it.  Anyone have any experience on this one and any ideas?  Thank you.  Tim

Kenton K

Photos of the network connections would be great. Then we could see how the ringer is connected. It may be that one of the ringer leads is connected to GN for grounded ringing.

-Ken

debeaune

Copy that Ken, I'll take it apart a little further, thank you.  Tim

debeaune

Ken, here you go, hopefully this shows enough of the network, let me know if so/not.  Thanks, appreciate the help sir.  Tim

RotoTech99

You red ringer lead should go to "K", and the black ringer lead to "L-1" on the network.

The black line cord lead goes to "L-2", The yellow line cord lead goes to "G" on the network, red line cord goes to "A", and green line cord to "L-1".

Unless the ringer is bad, this wiring should allow your candlestick to ring.

BTW: Your network is a WE 4010B like the one used in Princess and 2554 early wall phones.

~RotoTech99

debeaune

Roto,  got all but can't find K, can you ID on pic for me, used my glasses and still can't see a K.  Thanks

debeaune

NVM, found it, was under the spade.  So wired as directed and I get ring now but no dial tone.  I added a pic with the wiring as you directed, can you let me know what could be crossed?  Thanks..Tim

RotoTech99

I'll look in the TCI Library for the BSP on networks, and send you a picture of a 4010 network showing the "K" terminal, and get it to you
ASAP.

RotoTech99

I found the 4010B network picture and have attached it to this post, as well as a diagram of your Candlestick's wiring.

Your particular one is the series "A" Candlestick.

"K" is next to terminal "R" on the right side of the network on the rear end of it.

You might have to move the spades to read the marking, but it will be next to the "R" terminal.

If you go to the TCI Library, there is also a diagram there for that version of Candlestick... I will look it up, and send either the link or a picture of the diagram. It will help you figure it out better.

I'd suggest making the TCI Library a "favorite" in your Internet options so you can easily pull it up to hunt diagrams, it's a great resource.

debeaune

Got it sir, will do, thank you.  So wired as advised and I get ring but no dial tone, thoughts?  Tim

debeaune

Roto, got it, ty.  I had to move the black from F to L1, works perfectly now.  Thank you.  Tim

RotoTech99

Something else to note on your 881A Series Candlestick...

Originally WE put a "Princess style" 623P4 line cord jack mounted on a metal bracket that a modular line connected to, than it ran out the same "groove" the earpiece cord exited through on the base. It was hidden internally when the set is assembled.  881B Candlesticks have it on the outside of the base.

If you have that, use it to connect your line cord; If you're going to use a spade to modular line cord like shown in your picture, you should restrain the cord inside the base so stress from a drop or mishap doesn't break a lead. If there's room use a small "zip-tie" to secure it around a housing mounting post, then run it out of the base where it won't interfere with another part.

Also "dress"(move) the wires so when you close up the base they don't get damaged from getting pinched or caught between parts, or block the ringer. 

debeaune

Copy that, thank you sir.  Went with the small zip-tie. Enjoy the day.