News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone watch this red 302 "parts" phone?

Started by TelePlay, April 23, 2014, 07:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Seller listed this "Vintage Red Western Electric Rotary Telephone F" 302 at $25. Rose to $60 where it sat until the final sniped drove it up to $192 plus $17 shipping.

It has a painted handset but the shell looks to be solid red. Red coiled line cord but a black coiled handset cord? Did someone pay a bit over $200 for the shell or was there other value in this phone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301151848816

poplar1

This is part of the line of late color 302s with moulded housings and painted handsets. Note that it is "dash 53" red--same as 500s--and not the usual Pekin Red.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

It's a nice looking telephone teleplay, is it yours? working ?

baldopeacock

Quote from: poplar1 on April 23, 2014, 09:00:31 AM
This is part of the line of late color 302s with moulded housings and painted handsets. Note that it is "dash 53" red--same as 500s--and not the usual Pekin Red.

I thought it might be that.   The shell's faded enough to look Pekin-ish but I figured it would clean up.    Those don't come along often at all.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on April 23, 2014, 09:00:31 AM
. . . Note that it is "dash 53" red--same as 500s--and not the usual Pekin Red.

How did you know that for this phone or are you just saying the shell would be a -53?

Quote from: Contempra on April 23, 2014, 09:21:56 AM
It's a nice looking telephone teleplay, is it yours? working ?

No, not mine. Didn't even bid on it. Was thinking of doing an auction contest with it but didn't think it would get up into the $300 range. It did surprise me that it jumped up to almost $200 in a snipe. Someone wanted it.

poplar1

Doug has one of the "blood red" 302s.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1947.msg26287#msg26287

John, you're right that perhaps I jumped to conclusions on the color. However, the fact that the handset is painted is another clue that this 302 may be -53 red and not -20 Pekin Red. Thermoplastic color 302s normally have Tenite handsets in matching color (not painted). Continentals usually have painted Bakelite handsets.

Same for green--though the 302 "gray-green" and the 500 "dash 51 green" are much closer than the 302 and 500 red colors--still, there were 302s in -51: There was one on Ebay this week but I can't find it right now. It is marked "302G-51" on the bottom of the phone. Does anyone have the link to it?

poplar1

Paul notes on his website that these 302s were produced in 1954,  with painted handsets, in the following 500-based colors: Ivory (-50), Moss Green (-51), Red (-53) and [Rose]Beige (-55):

http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#WEcolors

poplar1

Here's the "dash 51" green 302 I was looking for, from the same "family" as the "dash 53" red 302. It is stamped "302G-51" on the bottom--not -19 (gray-green color code used on most green 302s). Notice that it has a moulded green housing and a black Bakelite handset that has been painted green. I can't read the date on the housing; they could have put a new housing on a 1947 base.

VINTAGE-BELL-SYSTEMS-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-302-OLIVE-GREEN-ROTARY-DESK-TELEPHONE

It sold on 4/22 for $129.40.

WEBellSystemChristian

I saw both of those phones, but had plans to bid on the red 302. I decided not to when it jumped to $60.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

The dash 53 red 302 with painted handset is much harder to find than the pekin red 302--and the pekin red sells for $400+

WesternElectricBen

I should have bought the green 302 when the BIN was at 4.99.. What I really should do, is step up my phone deals, this is the second time I've let a pretty good phone by.

Ben

MMikeJBenN27

Never knew that those 54 color 302s had a painted black handset.  Learn something new every day!