News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: Help in Wiring a Northern ...
Last post by RDPipes - December 07, 2022, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on December 07, 2022, 04:26:47 PMOutstanding Ron....looks like it just rolled out of the factory. I do like the H3AJ cord....looks sharp!....Doug

Thank you Doug!
Auction Talk / Re: WE 30x with "Light Attachm...
Last post by paul-f - December 07, 2022, 04:43:36 PM
Phone Light on a 302.
Last post by Doug Rose - December 07, 2022, 04:26:47 PM
Outstanding Ron....looks like it just rolled out of the factory. I do like the H3AJ cord....looks sharp!....Doug
Last post by RDPipes - December 07, 2022, 04:07:06 PM
Well here it is with its exterior resto finished, I'm getting something from a good friend to install in the phone so I can have the line button lamp light on incoming and out going calls as I have it wired to ring that way (well not to ring on outgoing calls but, you know what I mean). I did go ahead and install the H3AJ handset cord for now because the WE coiled cloth one I have is not the right color. Maybe I'll use one of my NOS WE straight cloth cords, I haven't decided yet. At first this phone was a bit intimidating with all the wiring going on inside but, after you understand how its all laid out it's pretty simple, at least the way I'm doing it and not hooking it up to a key system.
Auction Talk / Re: eBay's Trying to Fix What ...
Last post by TelePlay - December 07, 2022, 02:17:00 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on December 07, 2022, 08:42:25 AMI bought a Nile Green AE40 and an Old Rose 302 for $6 each  (the usual employee price per phone) when I was working for Hallmark House for $2 an hour in 1972. So selling those now would be Capital Gains, right?

Don't know. That would be an interesting try. I don't know if the IRS would classify a phone as an investment for capital gains.
Electronic Key Systems / Re: AT&T Merlin Phone System (...
Last post by poplar1 - December 07, 2022, 09:16:36 AM
Quote from: HarrySmith on December 07, 2022, 07:46:07 AMDid you try reversing tip & ring? These early tone dials were polarity sensitive.

I don't think they are DTMF (Touch-Tone) dials. You have to have an adapter to use single line phones such as 2500s, at least on the old Merlin KSUs. Maybe the Partner sets produce true Touch-Tones, since just like the Panasonic KX-T 61610 Key System, you can mix proprietary multi-line phones and single line phones, even on the same station port.
For Sale / For Sale: Red 302
Last post by LarryInMichigan - December 07, 2022, 09:04:34 AM
I am trying to clear out a bit of space by selling my first red thermoplastic 302, so I listed it on FB: link.  I may add it to craigslist later.

Larry
Auction Talk / Re: eBay's Trying to Fix What ...
Last post by poplar1 - December 07, 2022, 08:42:25 AM
If I can save 7.75% sales tax on all the phones I buy, then I guess it will be OK to pay 10% federal income tax on sales as if the basis (cost) is zero (because I don't have proof of what I paid). Especially since I seem to buy more than I sell anyway...I admire those who manage to sell enough to pay for their collection.

State of GA exempts up to $35,000 retirement income for age 62-64, and up to $65,000 for 65+ (for state tax only). Retirement income includes Social Security, pensions, income from rental property, capital gains, etc., and up to $4,000 earned income. $4,000 would be a big year of gross sales for me on Ebay.

I bought a Nile Green AE40 and an Old Rose 302 for $6 each  (the usual employee price per phone) when I was working for Hallmark House for $2 an hour in 1972. So selling those now would be Capital Gains, right?
Dials & Touchtone Pads / Re: What is the difference bet...
Last post by HarrySmith - December 07, 2022, 07:47:19 AM
Interesting, I also never heard of or have seen a 7DX. We need pictures!
Electronic Key Systems / Re: AT&T Merlin Phone System (...
Last post by HarrySmith - December 07, 2022, 07:46:07 AM
Did you try reversing tip & ring? These early tone dials were polarity sensitive.