News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Collector's Corner / Re: French Eurieult Type 10
Last post by FABphones - December 06, 2022, 04:49:53 AM
Great thread!

Ebonite was something I had considered but much of it I see on telephones is damaged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonite

Quote from: countryman on December 05, 2022, 05:36:27 PM...I wonder how I could provide evidence to either option without destroying the object?

Could you maybe perform the 'pin test' in an unseen area inside the phone? Heat a pin until very hot and push against the area in question, see if it melts?
Western Electric Pay Phones / Re: Western El. 177G payphone ...
Last post by FABphones - December 06, 2022, 04:46:00 AM
Quote from: Gary Z on December 05, 2022, 08:29:14 PMI had to thin the herd a little...

Aw.  :(
I understand though as I too need to thin the collection down a little...
Electronic Key Systems / Re: AT&T Merlin Phone System (...
Last post by FABphones - December 06, 2022, 04:41:50 AM
Quote from: FrankieD on December 05, 2022, 09:39:27 PMBringing this one back from the dead...

Great to reread some of these old threads. Lots of good info to be found using the CRPF search button.  :)

Quote from: FrankieD on December 05, 2022, 09:39:27 PM...I just bought a decent sized lot of these off eBay... ...All but one phone is working.

Anyone in here know why it wouldn't be working?...

Could you provide more info, and photos.
Quote from: compubit on December 05, 2022, 11:16:45 PMBased on the timing of when the ad was placed...

Interesting thought. Either way - earlier or later - clever subtle GPO marketing.

The 1929 Stock market would have absorbed the news at the time, the telephone would have played an essential role. A UK-New York telephone call cost £9 for 3 minutes (price was reduced in 1928).

1929 brought with it new automatic exchanges, new design public telephone kiosks and the Teleprinter (the fear of the knock on the door and being handed a succinct 'pay per word' Telegram which could bring joyous greetings, but most often carried urgent and unfortunate news and a deadly hush from all within the room whilst it was read out...).

What a gentle and clever way for the GPO to present their new model handset telephone and acquire some additional funds to ride out the storm (if that were the case).

- Buy the latest design telephone for yourself (keep up with the latest news from family and friends),
- Buy the latest design telephone for someone else (it's a gift, they cannot surely be offended, and if they have suffered losses this modern one piece handset telephone will be a welcome - and paid for - essential part of daily life).

And promised with a 6 day delivery window, just in time for the subscriber to proudly use their new innovative handset telephone to personally offer Christmas Greetings and Thank You's.

Nicely done GPO.
Quote from: david@london on December 04, 2022, 07:12:19 AMThat's a great old ad.

Amazing that in 1929 the GPO could undertake to supply an extra phone to existing subscribers by Christmas Day, when ordered only 6 days before...and for a one off charge of £1 (£50 in today's £) with no mention of any extra rental charges.

Based on the timing of when the ad was placed, could it have been a case of:
- The ad was placed before the London Stock Exchange crashed (and folks were living the high life of the roaring 20s.
- The ad was placed after the crash, and was a way to possibly get work for GPO employees in the few people who could afford a phone after the crash

No idea, but these are 2 possibilities.

Jim
I am also dealing with the exact same problem and I have the same setup as you do. I have tried several different initialization strings and the modem fails to initialize. I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem for a while now without any luck. I did notice that I can get the modem to initialize if I go off hook on the millennium and hit * on answer detect and then start MM_manger. The modem will initialize, but the phone will not interface with it. 
Electronic Key Systems / Re: AT&T Merlin Phone System (...
Last post by FrankieD - December 05, 2022, 09:39:27 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead...

I just bought a decent sized lot of these off eBay (I have the system and I've been a collector for years). All but one phone is working. It's a 10 button membrane phone. I took it apart and don't see a obvious cause.

Anyone in here know why it wouldn't be working? Any common causes?
Dial Repair & Lubrication / Re: Dial Maintenance and Repai...
Last post by Contempra - December 05, 2022, 09:30:30 PM
QuoteI'm surprised you got 3 turns into the spring, the 3 turns didn't bend or straighten out the spring anchor and your governor didn't start smoking (kidding on the last point).

Laughing Out Loud !

QuoteThe dial will work fine until the governor brake pads wear down and stop working.

Oups...

QuoteDo you have the ability to accurately test you dial speed to see if it is increasing over  use/time?

Absolutely not :(

Western Electric Pay Phones / Re: Western El. 177G payphone ...
Last post by Gary Z - December 05, 2022, 08:29:14 PM
I had to thin the herd a little. I was running out of room for some of my collection. It was sold to another collector. :(
Dial Repair & Lubrication / Re: Dial Maintenance and Repai...
Last post by TelePlay - December 05, 2022, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Contempra on December 05, 2022, 07:45:16 PM. . . the last one that I completely reassembled the 'dial' I made 3 complete turns . . .

That would make the governor brake pads work much harder with all that extra energy in the spring. I'm surprised you got 3 turns into the spring, the 3 turns didn't bend or straighten out the spring anchor and your governor didn't start smoking (kidding on the last point).

The dial will work fine until the governor brake pads wear down and stop working.

Do you have the ability to accurately test you dial speed to see if it is increasing over  use/time?