News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phoneco Retiring? Still trying to sell the business

Started by Babybearjs, February 21, 2019, 08:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

??? I'm not sure where to put this, so is page looks good. I saw an article through facebook about Phoneco closing up shop... does anyone know anymore about this? they may need to do a clearance sale! "Several Semi Trailers" worth of goods? Wonder what is going to happen to it all?
John

CanadianGuy

Several?! 65 trailers per the article! That's expert level hoarding IMO  :o

Babybearjs

then old phoneworks need to work with them. OPW will be one of the only sources left when phoneco is gone... unless someone wants to start a new phone restoration company.
John

HarrySmith

I gave Ron a call several years ago when I first heard about them trying to sell the business. I spent a few hours on the phone with him and at the end I knew a lot about his family but nothing about the business. I have heard that others have had the same experience. Apparently they do not even know exactly how much they have but they are trying to get top dollar for every piece. It would be a shame to loose such a valuable resource. They do have a lot of junk but they also have a lot of really good stuff. There is a topic here somewhere where it was proposed a few of us try to get together to purchase it but again it never got anywhere as a value could not be determined.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

As an FYI, or a not too recent update, a couple of weeks after this topic was created, Wisconsin Public Radio did an interview with Ron about the story of Phonecoinc at the WPR web site

https://www.wpr.org/galesville-couple-selling-massive-collection-antique-phones

which includes a 12 minute audio interview is at this link (found in the above site)

https://www.wpr.org/listen/1414126

Babybearjs

Interesting.... I was paging through EBAY and decided to checkup on their page, starting to get desperate.... trying to sell large lots of phones and parts that no one wants... its sad when technology changes and you are left with junk... or so it seems.... they are going to loose an awful lot during this time.... the family will be forced to make dump runs if no one will buy the company....
John

Jim Stettler

My understandings is : The business is being offered for less than the land value.
If a non collector buys it. All the equipment could go to a landfill.
Just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

they have so much that no collector would want what they have.... because the collector probibly already has too much! me, I'm price conscience. on some stuff, they want too much for shipping.... so, no sale... its sad though.... when mary and Ron finally pass, the family is going to be stuck with a business that nobody wants.... right now, cell phones rule! land lines and analog phones are something that this current generation know nothing about....
John

Key2871

I always wondered why they don't just reduce the prices to sell the stuff to those who want it.
Instead of asking the moon and the stars for it.
KEN

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 13, 2020, 05:06:16 PM
they have so much that no collector would want what they have.... because the collector probibly already has too much! me, I'm price conscience. on some stuff, they want too much for shipping.... so, no sale... its sad though.... when mary and Ron finally pass, the family is going to be stuck with a business that nobody wants....

It will most likely get sent to the dump and get buried when they are gone, so I guess it would be like taking it with them.

Desert Phone Guy

Seems like the logical thing to do is just auction it off, at this point.  They won't get what they think it's worth, but even if they get 10 cents on the dollar, it's better than nothing.  The business has most likely earned them a very good income over the years, and for that I am sure they are grateful.

Theirs is a business of supply and demand, and their product is not a necessity, it is for those with discretionary income.

It's a bit sad, but the generation that appreciates antique phones gets smaller every day.

My wife goes in our garage when I am working on something and I get the question:  "What are you going to do with all this?"

A valid question for which I have no answer.

kleenax

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on June 13, 2020, 06:52:32 PM

My wife goes in our garage when I am working on something and I get the question:  "What are you going to do with all this?"

My answer to whomever asks me that question is "Whatever I want!"
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

[quote author=Desert Phone Guy link=topic=21996.msg239227#msg239227 date=1592088752

[/quote Easy answer....either it is for my collection or it is for sale.

Been that way for the last 40: years.....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

Hey, Ray..... why don't you buy their business.....
John