News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color Restoration - Pink 58 WE faded handset Cord

Started by Dan/Panther, June 20, 2009, 08:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian-Eifert-1999

Is there any way this method can be used to make the pink plastics look better? If not does anyone have any ideas on how to get the pink color back on the plastics?

kleenax

Quote from: Brian-Eifert-1999 on March 14, 2022, 11:53:51 AM
Is there any way this method can be used to make the pink plastics look better? If not does anyone have any ideas on how to get the pink color back on the plastics?
If the color is faded, there is NO way to "bring it back". If you want it Pink, take the faded cord off and install a new one.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Brian-Eifert-1999

I can try to find a better pink cord but I may just try the method this other guy had posted on here.

TelePlay

There are many topics on restoring discolored plastics, this is (in my opinion) the preferable way - removing the discolored layer:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=24.0

keeping in mind that ABS plastic is different than soft plastic so chemical removal techniques are different, paper sanding is the same for either except soft plastic cuts faster so higher grits are used compared to sanding ABS.

This is an ABS beige phone I did some time ago:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168.0

This board contains several topics using oxidizers to lighten light colored plastics

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=23.0

and this topic explains why plastic discolors over time and why top layer removal is superior to oxidation baths

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23386.0

Bottom line, removing discoloration can be done but it's a learning curve restoration where you learn as you go. Good thing is most mistakes can be removed by sanding. Peroxide bath is easy but tricky, removal is simple and error free (with practice) but time consuming.

kleenax

Quote from: TelePlay on March 14, 2022, 11:24:28 PM
There are many topics on restoring discolored plastics...

I was under the impression that he was talking about faded handset cords, not plastic bodies of telephones. When the colorant leaches out of a colored rubber cord, nothing is going to bring back the color short of a spray-bomb paint can of the same color.

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

FABphones

Is there any way this method can be used to make the pink plastics look better...

For the plastics (body shell, handset etc) chemical sanding as per the above is my preferred method.

Quote from: Brian-Eifert-1999 on March 14, 2022, 11:19:27 PM
I can try to find a better pink cord...

For fabric cords I use shop bought fabric dye, never tried it on plastic cords but the pigment may have some effect on old cords.

I remember seeing many 'plastic' ivory phone cords with ink blotches on them, red ink can be very effective (especially when one does not want it to be). Red food colouring also often stains. A weak solution of either may offer up the desired shade of pink (for display).

A test patch would be advisable. Wear gloves!

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Quote from: kleenax on March 15, 2022, 12:28:04 AM
I was under the impression that he was talking about faded handset cords, not plastic bodies of telephones.

Yes, he was asking about the cord first but then posted that tangent asking about plastic color restoration. Just posted links to that part of the forum.

I have used the red Dykem in lacquer thinner to make a faded pink rubber cord match the plastic color. It worked well. While red Dykem is hard to find, blue is readily available. Breaking open large permanent ink colored Sharpie magic marker pens is another source of Dykem type color stain. Not sure which is more economical though, dyeing vs replacement but replacement is much more simple if you can find a NOS cord on eBay.

Brian-Eifert-1999

Thank you everyone! I'll try some of those suggestions and see how that works.

TelePlay

Dykem is now readily available on eBay, about $25 for a 4 ounce jar of red and blue. This dye is permanent and strong. A little goes a long way and just a quarter drop will stay on fingers for days.

It is put into the lacquer thinner, a quart in a glass bowl is about enough to cover the cord, and better to put it in more colored than the cord and to the cord out and rinse it in another quart of clear lacquer thinner to wash off the dye on the surface to keep the cord from getting too dark after dye bath removal. Kind of like dying Easter Eggs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184892568585

An eBay search for Dykem will give a lot of purchase options. A couple of years ago, I had to go to Grainger for a jar of red.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"