News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 102

Started by oldphonemike, September 29, 2022, 01:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldphonemike

I recently acquired this 102 and was wondering if the dial card is correct for the period.   If not,  are they available for purchase somewhere and what would it look like?

MMikeJBenN27

TelePlay

I do believe that is a decorative "number card" in that it is in color. I might be wrong.

There are a lot or real (original) number cards posted on this site

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/

Many collectors make their own.

You can buy them from these sites, scroll down to see all they have for sale.

https://oldphoneworks.com/search?options%5Bprefix%5D=last&page=1&q=number+card

https://www.oldphoneshop.com/western-electric-telephone-parts/

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking phone. It is technically called a B1 handset mounting. The 102 or 202 refers to how it is wired, sidetone or anti-sidetone. It is not a complete phone, it requires a subset or ringer box. As far as the number card it is a generic Bell Systems card. I used a lot of them on phones I have sold. We have a section here for number cards. You can browse there and pick what you like. Have you opened the phone? It should have the date of manufacture stamped inside the bottom.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldphonemike

I did open it up, but didn't find any date.

HarrySmith

It may be hiding under the wires or that piece of electrical tape. Also possible whoever restored it removed the stamp.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

That is an early B1 mounting since it has holes for the cord restraints rather than lugs. The 1927-1928 B1s are not date stamped. Earliest date I recall seeing is 429 (4th quarter 1929).

The handset has dates on the receiver and on the transmitter. There may also be dates on the cord restraints
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

oldphonemike

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information.   So, would it type 1 number card be period correct?  Rather than print off one, does anyone have an authentic one laying about that I could purchase?

poplar1

The cords are not connected correctly. The only screw terminal with two wires is the R terminal: It should have both the red handset wire and the red mounting cord wire (cord going to the subset).

The white handset wire should be on W and the black handset wire on BK.

The green mounting cord wire goes to GN. The yellow mtg. cord wire goes to Y.

You don't need the plastic ty-wraps or the black tape.

Image from TCI Library: BSP  C32.160 i1 Nov31 - Sidetone Hand Telephone Sets - Cording
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

oldphonemike

A very kind member of the Forum sent me this vintage number card and I'm so proud I installed it myself with the help of his terrific instructions.   Thank you so much!

Doug Rose

Looks fantastic! Beautiful phone....Doug
Kidphone

oldphonemike

Is it possible to determine when a specific telephone number was issued?  My Grandparents # was SHeridan 4-9155 issued in Milwaukee Wisconsin.