News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

james garner

Started by david@london, July 27, 2014, 11:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

i was very sorry to hear of the passing of james garner on july 19th.

it occurs to me that 'the rockford files' - & perhaps also 'columbo' - are probably the main causes of my great liking for the western electric 500/2500 ringtone .........which in turn has led me to collect these phones.

both of these programmes were shown regularly on british tv during the late seventies/early eighties.

here's a u-tube compilation clip of some of jim rockford's ansaphone messages.

RIP, jim.

Weco355aman

I really enjoyed the Rockford  Files.   He is one of a few that I would liked to of meet in person.
Phil

TelePlay

He was great as Maverick, Rockford and as Tank in his final movie with Sutherland, Jones and Eastwood - Space Cowboys.

Yes, one to have wanted to meet in person is indeed true. Lot of interviews with him on YouTube along with tributes.

Here's a tribute site for James Garner

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/g/James_Garner/death_of_James_Garner.htm

wds

He was definately one of the better actors.  I really enjoyed him in the movie Grand Prix. 
Dave

Mr. Bones

I will miss James.

I enjoyed watching him as Maverick, Rockford, etc. over the years. I remember a TV Guide article about him in the latter '70's, iirc: "He's No Bum!", referring to his original surname of (Bum)Garner...

Also a decorated Veteran of the US Armed Forces, wounded twice during Korea. Quite the man, and I would have delighted in meeting him, talking with him personally.

Go easy, James!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

jsowers

Has anyone besides me found a "Rockford phone?" See the picture below. It's a black WE 2500D, with the word "Operator" on the touchpad. It has to be hard-wired. They're not easy to find. Most people evidently wanted color instead of black in those years. I attached a pic of mine, from 11 years ago. I think I found it in a thrift store, but I added the number card later. Excuse the lint. I didn't clean it too well.

Jim Garner was a very great actor and a nice human being, unless he saw someone being abused and then watch out. I've read his autobiography and it was pretty good.

Turner Classic Movies is having 24 hours of his movies Monday, July 28, starting at 6am. My favorite Garner movie moment is when he drove a black 1958 Impala Convertible into a swimming pool in The Thrill of it All. He was an expert race car driver and did all his own stunts.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Looks like it came right off the set! I looked through today's offerings on eBay but in black, only modular and many not WE show up. Not many black TT of any kind our there, as you said, and finding a hard wired one makes it all the more difficult. You have a nice set there right down to the correct number card. Jim would be smiling if he read your post. Nice find!

Mr. Bones

Jonathan,

Is the 311-555-2368 number card Rockford's number from the series, I gather?

I have an 'also ran' black, modular Cortelco 2500 type, but adding the Rockford number card would at least give it some character, until such time as I can find an appropriate WE2500....as previously mentioned, it needs a TT number pad, if anybody has a spare...

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: Mr. Bones on July 27, 2014, 06:47:02 PM
Is the 311-555-2368 number card Rockford's number from the series, I gather?

From the show opening sequence.

Tim Mc

Quote from: jsowers on July 27, 2014, 06:13:07 PM
He was an expert race car driver and did all his own stunts.

I have a Jim Garner signed print from the movie Grand Prix in my home office.  Love his film/TV work and his charisma.  RIP Mr. Garner!

Mr. Bones

Thanks, John!

Far enough back in chronology that I couldn't prize the number out of me arse... still probably make a # card for the black Cortelco, until better days arrive... ::)

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

My NE2500 is close, but lacks the Operator on the zero button... ;D

I never really saw much of his stuff myself, about the most I saw was when he was in 8 Simple Rules (I liked Amy Davidson a fair bit at the time!!) after John Ritter passed away, and of course Space Cowboys, I'm sure I've seen the Rockford Files listed recently in ITV's repeatedly repeating list of repeats, though I could be wrong... ???

jsowers

This morning I looked at James Garner in Cash McCall, a movie I've never seen or heard of before, from 1960. I was rewarded with a great phone sighting. In the kitchen of his apartment there's a dark beige soft plastic 554 and he gets a call on it. You can easily see the white numbers on the dial and the thick switchhook. I wish I had thought to record it. You don't always see a 1956-57 phone in a 1960 movie. The apartment was huge. It took up an entire hotel floor.

I don't know which was prettier--that 554 or the young 22-year-old Natalie Wood, his co-star. Both were gorgeous.

Also in that movie are several early speakerphones, the ones with the mike in the base, and the little black external speaker. Also a light gray 500 in one bedroom.

I actually found a picture online of the phone and the stars, from a movie poster. The phone looks green, but it's dark beige in the movie. You can see it on the wall behind Garner's head.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 28, 2014, 05:35:56 AM
I'm sure I've seen the Rockford Files listed recently in ITV's repeatedly repeating list of repeats, though I could be wrong... ???

All 173 episodes of The Rockford Files are on Netflix, if interested, and available in your area.

gpo706

So, what make and model was Jim's answering machine?

I'm guessing a phoneco owned and rented Western Electric unit?

jsowers - your Rockford phone - thats superb mate!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"