Main Menu

I hate it when they do this!

Started by Greg G., June 24, 2016, 05:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Ford, like a number of makers had to hold over their 1942 basic body styles til 1948.  They also went through a management crisis during that period.  Their next big styling change was in 1949 with the "shoebox" or "3 box" body style.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

that's the one thing about LED's is the flicker effect.... it has to do with the phasing. it see it mainly in low voltage lighting and in Christmas lights.... that's why I don't like the LED Christmas lights, plus the "Cool White" and "neon Blue" colors are too hard on the eyes!
John

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 29, 2016, 04:19:47 PM
that's the one thing about LED's is the flicker effect.... it has to do with the phasing. it see it mainly in low voltage lighting and in Christmas lights.... that's why I don't like the LED Christmas lights, plus the "Cool White" and "neon Blue" colors are too hard on the eyes!

For our Christmas tree, we have soft white LEDs (no flicker). They look very nice, and feel 'fresher' yet don't don't feel very harsh. We've had the tree and same string of lights for about seven years now, and not one light has gone out!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

I use the T5 type led strings in color, but for my outdoor decoration.  They seem to have richer color than the faceted or long shapes.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andy1702

I have lots of oil lamps and they are all just that... oil lamps. They get used too.

Last christmas I went to a Christmas Fair where there was a stall selling all kinds of things turned into lamps. I had a friendly chat with the guy on the stall and explained that I restore phones. He pointed out a bakelite phone he had turned into a lamp and asked what I thought it was worth. "About £60 as a working phone, or a fiver for spares as a lamp" was my honest reply. I don't think he sold a single one all weekend.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

It is also sad to see a oil lamp that has been drastically altered to electric light.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

The problem with making things into lamps is they're often made by people who want to see it as a lamp themselves, a friend of mine turned his old, worn out clarinet into a lamp a few years back, I'm sure some musical instrument people would baulk at the idea, but to him, it looks nice, it's had its' time (he played it a lot apparently, hence being worn out), and now lives on as a lamp...  :)

Now of course, taking something valuable and collectable and turning it into spare parts by drilling holes into it and sticking a bulb in it, well, we all know our opinions on that...  ;D

In my case with my cheap chinese lamp, it wasn't fit for purpose from the outset, and as it was part of a set of four, I didn't feel it was any real loss to turn it into something else that was more useful, even if I haven't actually used it, but, each to his own... :)