News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thomson-Houston Repair - ‘The Toad’

Started by FABphones, August 02, 2018, 09:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This is another of my Bakelite phones from France. This one is marked *CT, Paris - and despite researching it, I have no idea of the model name. In France it is often called a 'Crapaud,' The 'Toad' (although there is a later 1960's phone that goes by the same name).

As this style is fairly hard to get hold of I bought this one regardless of the slight damage to the outer ring of the mouthpiece (I do see these rings for sale from time to time). And I was interested to see how it fixed up as a Bakelite restoration project.

*CT - Compagnie des Telephones Thomson-Houston
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson-Houston_Electric_Company
(LOVE the TH monogram in the mouthpiece, nice touch).

For this project I used:

Epoxy Clay (Milliput, black)
Fimo (bake in the oven modelling clay, any colour)
Bowl of cold water
Clean dry paper towels
Lots of patience!

I thought I'd make a jig/mould for this repair as the shape wasn't the easiest to work with. The ring screws onto the handset so I had to pay particular attention to the inside rim shape too, or it wouldn't have screwed back on. If you don't need to make a mould, you won't need the Fimo. Re my choice of Milliput, I quite like using these coloured clays, they match in fairly welll and don't need a coat of paint afterwards.

These are just my guidelines:

-Remember the time limit. The clay will harden as you work and go past the point of no return.
-Try not to keep getting the shape better. It might make the shape worse, time will run out and that's that (been there, done that).
-Work the product a little high, it will sand back.
-Don't use too much clay, it goes further than you think.
-If the repair is straight use sticky tape (the thicker box sealing type) and use that on the exterior over the break to help make a straight repair.

Method. Day 1:

Stage 1: Due to the shape of this repair I made a mould from Fimo. Whilst the Fimo was still pliable I moulded the shape from the good side of the ring and then baked the Fimo in the oven for 20 mins and left it to cool. This gave me a hard mould to help me shape the curve.

Stage 2: Mix equal amounts of resin and approximately shape to the break.

Stage 3: Start working the clay on the break. Use the water (sparingly) to help keep hands free of stickiness and to help smooth the surface. As I also used the Fimo mould, I dipped the mould into the water to help work the curve and remove excess clay (long fingernails help with that too - ruins the manicure though!).

Stage 4: Times up! Complain quietly about how it 'could be better', and leave it to dry overnight. It will set solid.

NB: If it's really bad, remove the clay and start over (note to self 'look on the bright side - practice makes perfect').

Pics below of progress so far, update to follow...
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

More pics. Still work to do forming the shape, but it gives an idea of the colour match...

FABphones

Here's a photo of the repair the following morning. Dried and sanded. I'm no sculptor and this looks ok on the phone (plus the ring now has more strength to it) so is good enough for me. Anyone trying this may of course want to do better.  ;D

The scratch which was on the centre piece polished out.

The base and body of this phone are metal, and need a bit of encouragement to come apart so I can check out the internals and attend to the dial which is a tad slow.

In the meantime the Bakelite parts (stem, cradle, handset), are now starting their '3 Day Beauty Oil Treatment'.  ;)

More to follow.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 03, 2018, 08:11:56 AM
Looks good! Nice work.

Thanks Harry. I hope it is of help to someone at some point. The last pic above has light on some areas but it is fairly even, and the circle isn't too bad (..and it still fits so that's a Brucie.  :) )

If anyone sees how the technique can be improved, do please add to this thread. :D

HarrySmith

There are a couple of other threads I seem to recall with similar methods. Basically build a mold and create your piece, sand & refinish. Very simple! But not easy! Very handy for pieces that are not available.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Wow that stuff works good, and looks good too. Nice job!
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on August 03, 2018, 02:36:59 PM
Wow that stuff works good, and looks good too. Nice job!

Thanks. It's pretty easy to work with and I think the colour match is ok. I don't like paint on Bakelite, so this is fine for me. Plus it sets solid so gives some much needed strength to this piece too.

I forgot to take a pic of it on the handset, but here is the phone mid polish. Just trying to get the Bakelite to gleam on this pic.    8)

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Key2871

Oh, I agree. I don't think John q public would really be able to tell the difference.
Did you mix in something to give it that color?
KEN

HarrySmith

Quote from: FabPhones on August 03, 2018, 09:52:24 AM
(..and it still fits so that's a Brucie.  :) )
Brucie?? Is that a UK thing?? I am not familiar with that phrase.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

"Brucie Bonus", one of the catchphrases of late TV entertainer Bruce Forsythe, who hosted many a US-format TV gameshow over here in the UK... :)

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on August 07, 2018, 01:11:30 PM
Oh, I agree. I don't think John q public would really be able to tell the difference.
Did you mix in something to give it that color?

Thanks guys.  :)
No extra pigment is needed.
https://www.milliput.com/products.html

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 07, 2018, 05:15:08 PM
"Brucie Bonus", one of the catchphrases of late TV entertainer Bruce Forsythe, who hosted many a US-format TV gameshow over here in the UK... :)

Adapted generally to mean if something goes well/better than expected. ;D

FABphones

Bumping this thread to add a second model of this phone which has entered the collection.

This two button version needed plunger attention as it stayed in the on hook position, a replacement transmitter cap, a dialcard holder and a general clean up.

The dialcard is original and the attached phone lock came complete with a key.