News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PBX question

Started by Whitcrane76, April 06, 2019, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

After seeing everyone with pbx systems wired up to their collections I'm getting the itch. I want that!  Only problem is, I have zero pbx knowledge. I do however have two old systems. That being said, are they good for anything/will they work? Somebody lay some systems tech. knowledge on me.
Or let me know what I need to find that will work.

skyrider

They are not PBX, they are Key Telephone Systems. The one with the wire spring relays is a 1A1 KTS with a 207 dial intercom, 9 stations IIRC. I wired up many of these during my time in the USAF. We were many years behind the Bell System. The KTS with the 400H cards is a 1A2 I think it's a 551C which had the nickname shoe box because of it's shape. Both KTS have value and would be fun to play with. I have 3 or 4 551 KTS units which I remove from crawl spaces and equipment rooms after 2000 and they had been out of service for years. They both work with T R in, T R out, A A1 for control leads, lamp Lamb ground for lights, and R1B1 for common ringing or buzzer. I have a 1A1 System I got from a building being torn down, can't remember what Key Telephone Units are in it. I also found a few 1A units in a building in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Bill Compton

Whitcrane76

Quote from: skyrider on April 06, 2019, 09:04:40 PM
They are not PBX, they are Key Telephone Systems. The one with the wire spring relays is a 1A1 KTS with a 207 dial intercom, 9 stations IIRC. I wired up many of these during my time in the USAF. We were many years behind the Bell System. The KTS with the 400H cards is a 1A2 I think it's a 551C which had the nickname shoe box because of it's shape. Both KTS have value and would be fun to play with. I have 3 or 4 551 KTS units which I remove from crawl spaces and equipment rooms after 2000 and they had been out of service for years. They both work with T R in, T R out, A A1 for control leads, lamp Lamb ground for lights, and R1B1 for common ringing or buzzer. I have a 1A1 System I got from a building being torn down, can't remember what Key Telephone Units are in it. I also found a few 1A units in a building in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Bill Compton

Thanks for the info, guess I need to keep looking.
Now, somebody tell me what I need.

compubit

I'll throw in a few comments for the 1A2 equipment:

- You'll need 1 or more 1A2 phones (e.g., 565, 2565, etc. - the ubiquitous "5 line office phones")
- The appropriate cabling (25 pair with a female Amphenol connector on one end and bare on the other end - for punching down either on the built-in block, or cross-connected to an external 66 block
- Possibly 2 more 400 cards (for additional lines)
- up to 4 line sources - one for each card (here's where one of the Panasonic systems shines)
- the appropriate Bell System Practice (or other manufacturer's practices) for that model of compact 1A2 system (needed to determine what punches where on the connecting block)

Once you have these, you should be able to connect L1, L2, L3, and L4 to provide the inputs, and connect the cabling for the phone for the outputs.  You can check without powering up if the inputs pass through to the phone. If that's working, then powering up the device should result in the lines lighting up when a line goes off hook, and the interrupter (small plastic box on the lower left) should turn when the phone rings or a line is put on hold.

This is the basic premise - obviously, there are things to do to enable ringing, make sure cards are working properly. I just read through the BSP, and "followed along" (I never worked for the phone company, but am an engineer by training).

Good luck.
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

:) its taken me 15 years to get to this point. hope its less then that for you. here's what I have.
John

oldguy

The PBX most of us use is a Panasonic KX-T61610.
Gary

Whitcrane76

Quote from: compubit on April 10, 2019, 11:31:32 PM
I'll throw in a few comments for the 1A2 equipment:

- You'll need 1 or more 1A2 phones (e.g., 565, 2565, etc. - the ubiquitous "5 line office phones")
- The appropriate cabling (25 pair with a female Amphenol connector on one end and bare on the other end - for punching down either on the built-in block, or cross-connected to an external 66 block
- Possibly 2 more 400 cards (for additional lines)
- up to 4 line sources - one for each card (here's where one of the Panasonic systems shines)
- the appropriate Bell System Practice (or other manufacturer's practices) for that model of compact 1A2 system (needed to determine what punches where on the connecting block)

Once you have these, you should be able to connect L1, L2, L3, and L4 to provide the inputs, and connect the cabling for the phone for the outputs.  You can check without powering up if the inputs pass through to the phone. If that's working, then powering up the device should result in the lines lighting up when a line goes off hook, and the interrupter (small plastic box on the lower left) should turn when the phone rings or a line is put on hold.

This is the basic premise - obviously, there are things to do to enable ringing, make sure cards are working properly. I just read through the BSP, and "followed along" (I never worked for the phone company, but am an engineer by training).

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, I actually think I have most of that.
Quote from: oldguy on April 11, 2019, 01:26:04 AM
The PBX most of us use is a Panasonic KX-T61610.
Thank you, now I know what I need, I'll start looking!

paul-f

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on April 06, 2019, 09:18:28 PM
Thanks for the info, guess I need to keep looking.
Now, somebody tell me what I need.

Don't give up too quickly on 1A1 and 1A2. They're really helpful if you want to display your vintage keysets, as they provide the hold, flashing lights, etc.

Also, there are single line sets wired for KSUs, such as the 500M.     http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#500M

If you have the opportunity, why not have both? It's entertaining to wire them together -- e.g. using a KSU line as a "CO" line on the 61610 and vice versa.

For extra fun, add a Telephone Line Simulator into the mix and amaze your friends by dialing among phones connected to the different devices. I've also experimented hooking up ComKey and Merlin systems.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Whitcrane76

Necessary part?
Still gathering.

rdelius

you could use the repeat coils to make a music on hold circuit

Whitcrane76

More parts! Useful or not?

rdelius

voice coupler or "beeper" .Used in the "old days" to interface the telephone line to broadcast or recording . Not needed on a pbx

Whitcrane76

Alright gurus, I got a system. It's not a Panasonic 616, but will it work?

andy1702

That's not a PBX I'm familiar with, but I guess it should work. The only place you could run into problems is if it doesn't accept pulse dialling. Most people use the Panasonic 616 because that will take in either pulses or tones and send it all out in tones to the line, so it also acts as a pulse to tone converter. Some PBX systems to this and some don't. I'd say just try it and find out.

Personally I have a BT Revelation, which is a UK built unit. it has a PSTN line going into it plus 2 C*net lines from ATA units. It's been working without any issues for 3 or 4 years now. I did need a modern system phone, which is specific to that particular PBX to programme it when I first got it though.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Whitcrane76

Anybody on here familiar with the Lucent Partner?