News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CENTURY SPLIT SHAFT CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE

Started by Doug Rose, July 29, 2022, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This Century Split shaft went rather low, in my humble opinion.

Was it because it had a WE Transmitter? Seller said "IT IS VERY HARD TO FIND A CENTURY TRANSMITTER."

I appreciate your information....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125428282633?
Kidphone

HowardPgh

The WE transmitter and cup are a definite mismatch. If I had that, I would seek out a Federal transmitter and cup, I think that might be a closer match. In my mind, I think Century was absorbed by Federal.  I have one stored away, and this one doesn't look as tapered as mine.
Howard

Doug Rose

Howard...thanks for your insight. A friend of mine purchased this stick....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Aside from the missing bottom plate, the perch seems off.  Wonder if it was modified to accept the WE trans. cup.  I've never seen the perch beveled like that.
Dave

paul-f

Quote from: wds on July 29, 2022, 04:43:15 PMAside from the missing bottom plate, the perch seems off.  Wonder if it was modified to accept the WE trans. cup.  I've never seen the perch beveled like that.
Agreed.

It looks like the sides were machined to accept a WE bolt.

I don't recall seeing other similar sets modified in this manner. The seller may be right that it's difficult to find a proper replacement transmitter and cup.

For reference, here are some old auction photos showing the standard perch.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Thanks guys...great insight and pics..hmmm..Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Comparing the two perches, who ever did this modification had some talent.

Still an outstanding Stick, but the WE Transmitter was the reason it went so low.

Thanks again, Paul and Dave for your insight and pics ..Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I have acquired the Century from my friend. The WE Transmitter was removed and I am leaning towards a Bull Dog, I tried on a SC to see. It is a tad too small

Used the remaining drops of my Whites and this came out pretty good for a hours work.

More to follow...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The coolest thing about this phone is the transmitter can be rotated to different positions. Caught me by surprise cleaning it. I thought I broke it  8)  ......Doug
Kidphone