News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Did WE invent the rotary dial with movable finger stop and Princess/Trimeline dial lamps

Started by Robert Gift, January 21, 2023, 11:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Just gotta love the old yellow trimlines
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Robert Gift

Quote from: poplar1 on January 21, 2023, 10:42:39 PMAu contraire, the LEDs actually filter the line.
Nothing purer than 48 VDC cells which power the central office (as well as older PBXs).
The rotary 223 LED Trimlines appeared around the same time as the square button LED Touch-Tone 2223s.

Are there not rotary-dial make-and-break and ring voltage voltage spikes induced into parallelines?    Should connect my oscilloscope to see what is there.
Would love to find a rotary-dial Trimline.  Any obvious external characteristics?   
I did have an incandescent-lighted wall-mounTouchtone™ Trimline whichad rounded-off square buttons. To make it a nightlight I modified its base to keep it lighted while hung up.
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)

poplar1

Quote from: Robert Gift on January 22, 2023, 03:11:21 AMI did have an incandescent-lighted wall-mounTouchtone™ Trimline whichad rounded-off square buttons. To make it a nightlight I modified its base to keep it lighted while hung up.

Does your refrigerator light stay on with the door closed?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: Robert Gift on January 22, 2023, 03:11:21 AMI did have an incandescent-lighted wall-mounTouchtone™ Trimline whichad rounded-off square buttons. To make it a nightlight I modified its base to keep it lighted while hung up.

What's the point since the Trimline dial is facing the base when hung up and any light from the dial would not be seen or would be very, very dim, just a crack of light on each side of the handset which is not really a night light, other than maybe finding the phone but only when looking straight on to the phone as it hangs on the wall?

The Princess incandescent lamp was dual function, always on at a low intensity to act as a night light and to burn bright when off hook to become a dialing light. The Princess dial is completely exposed when on hook making the night light fully functional, but could be turned off with a slide switch on the back of the base leaving only the dial lamp function.

The Princess dial light is fully exposed, as a night light in a wall outlet would be. The Trimline when on hook is a refrigerator door, as poplar1 noted. One would be better off putting an inexpensive $2 LED nightlight in a nearby wall power outlet to illuminate the phone, its whereabouts on the wall, and every other stumble type obstacle in the room.

Robert Gift

Quote from: poplar1 on January 22, 2023, 05:59:36 AMDoes your refrigerator light stay on with the door closed?
No.  But no need for a light warming the refrigerator interior whenone can see it.

The light in the TrimLine wall phone was a nice locator in darkness.
Did not burn out while I lived in that house.  But I do not khow long it was on before I moved.
(Now do I recall that its incandescent-lighted buttons were round??)

I returned the Walmart cheap LED nightlight because of its annoying 60Hz "strobing".
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Robert Gift

Quote from: poplar1 on January 21, 2023, 03:22:15 PM...The LED was line powered when off-hook. Night light feature, if desired, required a separate transformer.
For fun I would find a resistor to pass just enough power to lighthe LEDs, but not exceedialtone threshold - whatever that is.
Would try a NE-2 bulb in parallel withe capacitor to shunt ringer voltage to the ring circuit.  (As if I knowhere the capacitor is.)

TelePlay

Quote from: Robert Gift on January 22, 2023, 10:56:32 AMI returned the Walmart cheap LED nightlight because of its annoying 60Hz "strobing".

The human eye can see up to 30 Hz to 60 Hz. You must be at the upper end. I see no flicker in cheap Walmart LED nightlights, or any fluorescent lamps with good, working well ballasts.

Robert Gift

Quote from: TelePlay on January 22, 2023, 06:31:07 PMThe human eye can see up to 30 Hz to 60 Hz. You must be at the upper end. I see no flicker in cheap Walmart LED nightlights, or any fluorescent lamps with good, working well ballasts.

The nightlight is annoying when seen in the more sensitive/responsive peripheral vision and when eyesight iscanning across its light.
So it appears as -------------. (Wish that I could make white against a darker background.)