News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Quick Question

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, May 17, 2015, 10:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm at a flea market right now, and I spotted a BEAUTIFUL North Galion with an AE dial. They want $65. Before I leave, could someone quick tell me if it's worth that, or should I bargain down?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

Desk or wall phone?   bakelite or metal?
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Bakelite and desk. It's black, and the bakelite is in beautiful shape.
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

If you left without buying it, how would you feel tomorrow? Sometimes want is more important to price, regardless of price. You may be paying a bit too much but if it's in great condition and you like it and you want it, sounds like a buy to me.

Will you have major regrets tomorrow if you pass on it? That's worth something.

wds

Personally I think the price is a little high.  I don't think I've ever paid more than about $30 for one.  However you are saving on shipping so that's worth at least $10.  And, you don't have to worry about the mailman breaking it.  i would try to get  him down to at around $40 or so.
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Okay, I'll try talking him down to $40.

Thanks for the help, guys! ;)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, I asked $40, and he countered $45, so we agreed on that.

I also got another phone there, nothing special, but I'll post about both of them soon in another topic.
Christian Petterson

wds

Excellent - $45 is better than $65!  The Galion is a great looking phone. 
Dave

NorthernElectric

I'm curious Christian; did you tell the vendor you were consulting other collectors about the price?  If so, do you think that may have influenced his willingness to dicker?
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 17, 2015, 07:06:14 PM
I'm curious Christian; did you tell the vendor you were consulting other collectors about the price?  If so, do you think that may have influenced his willingness to dicker?
No, I didn't tell him. A lot of vendors there are very willing to dicker there; both phones I got today were bought at a much cheaper price than the original asking price. It's not like a year-round or season-round flea market where the vendor can just think; "So what if it doesn't sell today? I can come back tomorrow and sell it for my asking price." Instead, they have to haul it back to storage and let it sit for a month or so until the next event. Even better is at the last event of the year in September, when they have to let it sit and take up space for the whole Winter and part of Fall and Spring if they don't sell it that day. That's when you can get stuff for next to nothing!

Sorry that I haven't posted anything yet, guys. The pictures I'm trying to upload encountered the 'security error'!
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

I often resize the pictures in my camera to a smaller size before posting them.  My experience has been that the new system likes small pictures.  All I ask is that you try it and see how it works for you.

Doug Rose

Christian...load them one at a time until you find the offending pic...Doug
Kidphone