News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting a Phone Booth out of My Basement

Started by howdy_doody, May 06, 2020, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

If your muscles damage the phone booth this weekend it's worthless. Wait for proper instructions.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Any update on getting it out of the basement?

The one with all the bells and whistles (but no phone), has been reduced to $1,700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303568007793

Payphone installer

Don't take it apart you will never get it back together. Go buy some straw bales, buy 5 tip in over on the first bale and keep putting them in a line sliding the booth across  the bales. If you have to go up steps put the back of the booth on the steps and get the muscle to push it up the steps on its back. So you are sliding the booth. IF you don't want straw in the house wrap the bales in painters cloth. Tape the booth door open with duct tape or someone will smash their fingers in it. Ask questions if you want to know more I have moved hundreds of booths.

FABphones

Wonder what happened to this booth. An update would be nice.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

I was sitting here thinking the same thing.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 08, 2020, 08:49:41 PM
Thank you all for the comments.  If this gets too bad I'm getting out a chainsaw!
That's a shame....it is a great piece of history. Why exactly did you join the Forum?
He has not logged in since 5/11. I feel the booth met a sad ending....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

Wish someone had been closer to him, could have rescued it....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rcourtney

When moving Central Office frames such as 5ESS they used what looked like large whoopy cushions.  One side that faced concrete had holes.  Large air compressors pumped air into the bags and lifted the frames slightly.  Escaping air toward the floor acted like hovercrafts.   Might see if your local movers have such gear.

Move the booth far enough toward stairs to use a refrigerator type stair dolly.

howdy_doody

Hi guys, I still have this thing in my basement!  I just put ads on Facebook and Craigslist, here's a link...

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/clt/d/ballwin-vintage-1940s-phone-booth/7163346905.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )

A little optimistic on the price but what the heck.  It's still in the basement but I have a plan to get it out.

Booths are a hard sell, I have one for sale here in Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/belleville/1940-s-indoor-wooden-payphone-booth/1513475597 ( dead link 03-09-21 )

howdy_doody

Sold and hopefully leaving the basement tomorrow (in one piece)!

Quote from: howdy_doody on July 27, 2020, 10:47:35 PM
Sold and hopefully leaving the basement tomorrow (in one piece)!

Glad to hear you sold it and it's going to a new home.

tallrick

As for booths i am still looking for a good deal on an outdoor aluminum booth. It has been 20-30 years since one has been in use in my area. There were many abandoned indoor booths in the 2000's but the real estate bubble has led to the complete demolition of every building containing them.

HarrySmith

Cool. Happy it found a new home! Can we ask, how much it sold for?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

My 1940's indoor booth sold this weekend. A restaurateur from another city who is opening a new 70's, 80's, 90's retro style restaurant wanted a booth with non-working display Centurion in it. He also bought the 4 sided booth top and a Northern Electric chrome 3 slot. I had to move my large Bell Light over to my 1940's outdoor booth temporary until I can make up a support for it. It will removed next week, I told him to bring some big boys to move it. LOL