News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Didn't quite get what was advertised on the Ebay listing.

Started by Bartonpipes, January 06, 2015, 02:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartonpipes

Hello everyone,

After coming into a few of those visa gift cards over Christmas, I decided to buy myself the 35.00 BIN phone you "see" below. I realize that's a bit much for a 500, but I was led to believe it was the 1958 model in the pictures.

The transaction went well, the seller packed it the way I asked them and they were friendly about it, but when it arrived yesterday I got a bit of a surprise.

I knew immediately this was not the phone I had seen online when I bought it, and was honestly pretty pissed off at first. When I started looking at it I did notice that it was an all dates matching -51 green model from 1964, complete with original soft center finger wheel, and didn't have a scratch on it!

I have decided to keep the phone because it is in such pristine condition, and pre modular color 500's are very rare in this area. I  will however leave a note about this to the seller. I offer my experience as an example to show that you don't always get exaclty what you see in the pictures on ebay.

The seller's name was "treasuresfromgod" Below are the listing photos. When I get my camera working agian I will post pictures of the phone I got.
-Andrew

WEBellSystemChristian

Wait, so you're saying that the phone in the listing pictures (the ones you have posted here) had a 1958 base date, and the phone you received has a base date (and most internal dates) of 1964? That's pretty screwey of the seller...

Even if you got the phone as advertised, it wouldn't be a true 1958 phone. The cord, receiver cap, transmitter cap, and fingerwheel are all not original.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

I looked up the seller's history.  He had two green phones for sale and both sold for almost the same price.
He must have simply mislabeled the boxes unintentionally and now has two buyers wondering.
I'd say the '64 phone might be the better one, as this 58 has been refurbished with new plastics.

Bartonpipes

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 06, 2015, 05:53:01 PM
Wait, so you're saying that the phone in the listing pictures (the ones you have posted here) had a 1958 base date, and the phone you received has a base date (and most internal dates) of 1964? That's pretty screwey of the seller...

Yup, it's a through and through 1964 phone.

Quote from: unbeldi on January 06, 2015, 06:16:38 PM
I looked up the seller's history.  He had two green phones for sale and both sold for almost the same price.
He must have simply mislabeled the boxes unintentionally and now has two buyers wondering.
I'd say the '64 phone might be the better one, as this 58 has been refurbished with new plastics.

Now things make a lot more sense! If that really is the case I almost feel a little bad for the guy.
-Andrew

Dennis Markham

My first thought was that the seller sent you the wrong phone by mistake.  Unbeldi did the detective work already.  We've probably all gotten the wrong package from an eBay purchase.  Usually the seller will pay to have it returned or shipped to the correct buyer.

~Dennis

LM Ericsson

I have had instances where a seller may have had more than one of the same color and model phone, but does not bother to update the pictures, especially on Etsy. If you look at a seller's sales (things they previously sold) you can see what was sold. I once bought a Green Dutch 65 from someone on Etsy where they had a picture of the phone and i assumed that that was what I was going to get, but when I received it, it was a completely different phone, same color and same model, but a completely different Green T65. I checked the sales of this seller, and they had multiple green  T65s sold using the same picture.

For Example:
Regards,
-Grayson